A turkey pardoned by President Barack Obama at Thanksgiving 2011 was put down three days prior to this year's holiday, Virginia's Mount Vernon Estate said.
The estate, where pardoned turkeys are taken to live out their lives, said Peace, the understudy for 2011's turkey, Liberty, was put down Monday after suffering an illness during the weekend, The Independent reported Friday.
The newspaper said news of the bird's demise has "conspiracy theorists all aflutter" but Rebbecca Aloisi, vice president for marketing at the Mount Vernon Estate, said there was no conspiracy to have the pardoned turkey end up as part of a Thanksgiving dinner.
"I know that it was done in a humane manner but I don't know the mechanics," she said. "I appreciate where you're going with this, but I assure you that these birds are extremely well cared for."
Most Popular Stories
- Top Hispanic Tech Companies Push for the Top
- 5 Notable Hispanic Technology Executives
- Russia, Crimea Discuss Referendum
- 'Holy grail of guitars' OM-45 Deluxe Available in in NY Auction
- Justin Bieber Loses Cool Over Selena Gomez
- Maya Angelou Cancels Milagro Gala Appearance Due to Illness
- Spotify Picking up Echo Nest
- Goya Nutritionist Answers Demand for Healthy Hispanic Dishes
- California Establishes Center for Coffee Study
- Getty Releases Millions of Images for Free Via Embed Tool