Washington (dpa) - Larry Hagman, the actor who thrilled and
reviled millions of TV viewers in the 1970s and 80s as the deceitful
JR Ewing on Dallas, has died at age 81, his family said on his
Hagman died at the Medical City hospital in Dallas, Texas, of complications from cancer.
"When he passed, he was surrounded by loved ones. It was a peaceful passing, just as he had wished for. The family requests privacy at this time," a family statement said.
The famous November 1980 Dallas episode that answered the burning question Who Shot JR? garnered a record 350 million viewers worldwide. Hagman had recently returned to the small screen to reprise the role of Ewing in an updated Dallas series earlier this year.
"Larry was back in his beloved Dallas re-enacting the iconic role he loved most," his family said.
Prior to Dallas, Hagman was well known for his role in I Dream of Jeannie, a TV series in which he played an astronaut who came into possession of a beautiful genie.
Hagman was born September 21, 1931, in Fort Worth, Texas, the son of actress Mary Martin. He began acting after a year of college, even directing and performing during a stint with the US Air Force.
Having admitted to being a heavy drinker, Hagman underwent a liver transplant in 1995 and went on to campaign against alcoholism.
An advocate of organ donations, solar energy and marijuana as an alternative to alcohol, his foundation works to promote art for disadvantaged children.
Most Popular Stories
- Crimean Referendum Violates International Law: Obama
- Justin Bieber Loses Cool Over Selena Gomez
- Social Media Can Help a Company's Credit Line
- Fuentes Makes NAHREP's Top 10 List
- Hispanic Unemployment Eased in February
- Juanes Back to Singing About Love
- Boeing Freezes Nonunion Workers' Pensions
- Alfredo Ramos Martínez, Mexican Muralist, Symposium at Scripps
- 2 Million Long-term Jobless Have No Benefits
- Darrell Issa Apologizes to Elijah Cummings