The ultimate stupidity that union leaders can commit on members and the businesses that employ them occurred last week when those "leaders" engaged in something that for the business world is tantamount to murder-suicide -- rather than make wage concessions they did not like, union leaders let Hostess and jobs die.
Wonder Bread bakeries are toast, the only snowballs now are those made to fling at Ding Dong union leaders, and there will be no Ho Hos around Christmas trees come Dec. 25.
About 18,500 people -- many belonging to the Bakery, Confectionary, Tobacco Workers and Grain Millers International Union -- will get pink slips in an economy that offers few job opportunities. Teamsters voted to grant Hostess concessions, but not the bakers union.
Companies stand ready to snap up rights to produce iconic Hostess products. If that happens, consumers will continue to get Twinkies, but those snack foods likely will be made by people who are more realistic about what they want versus what a company can afford.
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Most Popular Stories
- Aetna Leaving California's Individual Health Insurance Market
- Honda Says Sorry About the Lack of Electric Fits
- OSH Selling Most of Its Stores to Lowe's
- Comcast Takes a Stake in a YouTube Content Provider
- Calories Count: Starbucks to Post the Numbers on Menu Boards
- Katy Perry: Learned About Divorce Via Text Message
- Is Stock Balloon Really a Pinata?
- Boeing to Build Stretch-Dreamliners
- Jimmy Hoffa Buried Alive, Reputed Underboss Says
- Kanye West's 'Yeezus': Angry Self-love