Consider giving the gift of coal heritage this Christmas with the Coal Heritage Highway Authority and National Coal Heritage Area Authority 2013 calendar -- "A Journey Through Coalfield History."
For the fourth year, this calendar features historic photographs of life in the coal camps of southern West Virginia, focusing on the people of those communities, said executive director Christy Bailey.
"The proud history of West Virginia coal mining families is seen in each of these photographs that feature images of interiors and exteriors of company stores, a coal camp baseball team from Maryville, miners in Eccles and Capels and a UMWA parade in Welch."
"In addition to the historic photos, significant events in coal history are featured throughout the calendar," she said.
The National Coal Heritage Area encompasses hundreds of square miles in southern West Virginia where thousands of miners labored to produce the coal which created modern America.
"In this area, the rugged industrial landscapes, the hard-working miners of many races and ethnicities all labored to extract and transport the coal that helped to fuel the rise of the American industrial might," Bailey said.
"While many of the buildings and communities seen in the calendar have disappeared, the history of those communities is still remembered by many," Bailey went on to explain.
The photographs used in "A Journey Through Coalfield History" are provided courtesy of the Eastern Regional Coal Archives, the Library of Congress and the C&O Historical Society.
The National Coal Heritage Area is one of 49 nationally designated heritage areas. It includes the counties of Fayette, Raleigh, Wyoming, Summers, Mercer, Boone, Logan, Cabell, Mingo, Wayne, Lincoln and McDowell. It also includes the Paint Creek and Cabin Creek watersheds located in Kanawha County.
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Most Popular Stories
- Scholarships Offered for Hispanic Heritage Month
- Boeing Succeeds in Early Wooing of China Airline Startups
- Latin America Seeks Ways to Add Value to China Exports
- EU Finance Ministers Discuss Investment Plan
- Steve Ballmer Files Six-Figure Counterclaim vs. Steve Gordon
- IS Releases New Beheading Video
- Detroit Bankruptcy: Pivotal Progress in Trial's Second Week
- Will Apple's Digital Wallet Conquer the Card Swipe?
- Apple Reportedly Spent $100MM for Free U2 Album from iTunes
- Olive Garden's Breadsticks Targeted by Activist Investor