Shredded Beef Tacos with Chocolate Sauce Plantains
1 Q7 Ranch sirloin tip roast, 3-4 pounds
8 ounces salsa
1 packet (1 ounce) taco seasoning
Diced or sliced avocado
Sliced green onion
Mexican-style shredded cheese
Chopped fresh cilantro
Flour or corn tortillas
5 very ripe plantains
4 1/2 tablespoons butter, divided
2 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
3 1/2 tablespoons honey
6 ounces chocolate chips
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil
For the tacos: Place roast in crockpot. Mix salsa and taco seasoning in separate bowl and pour over roast. Cook on low heat for 6-8 hours. Shred beef with a fork when done and set aside to keep warm.
For the plantains: Heat oven to 400 degrees. Grease bottom of baking dish with butter.
Cut ends off plantains and peel. Cut each plantain in half lengthwise, layer in bottom of baking dish. Cube 4 tablespoons butter; place half over first layer of plantains, sprinkle with 1 tablespoon brown sugar, then cinnamon. Repeat for top layer of plantains. Drizzle with honey. Bake 15 minutes, and turn oven to broil and cook until golden brown.
For the sauce: Heat coconut oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the chocolate chips, butter, honey, vegetable oil, dash of cinnamon and dash of cayenne pepper; heat until melted through, stirring continuously. Drizzle chocolate sauce over cooked plantains and sprinkle with roasted almonds.
To serve: Put beef on tortillas and top with choice of garnishes and a squeeze of lime. Serve sauced plantains on the side. Refrigerate leftover shredded beef for up to five days or freeze.
Courtesy of Katie Bloomfield, Q7 Ranch, Marengo
Most Popular Stories
- U.S. Families 'Extraordinarily Vulnerable': Yellen
- Hillary Clinton to Address CHCI Conference
- Larry Ellison Steps Down as Oracle CEO
- Alibaba Prices IPO at $68 a Share
- Veterans to Get Training as Solar Panel Installers
- Apple Locks Itself Out of Devices
- Hispanics Doubt Marco Rubio's Chances
- Wildfires Rage in California
- John Cantlie Delivers ISIS Message to Save Life
- Alibaba: Today China, Tomorrow the World