Three days after he did a not-half-bad bit on Saturday Night Live's
"Weekend Update," it emerged that Christie has landed a spot on Barbara
Walters' list of the "10 Most Fascinating People" of 2012.
Walters went to the State House in Trenton on Tuesday to interview the governor and his wife, Mary Pat, for the 90-minute ABC special, to air Dec. 12.
The news that Christie made Walters' cut came on the same day the New York Times reported he has been busy trying to heal a rift with fellow Republicans still miffed that he spoke positively about President Obama's leadership during the Hurricane Sandy crisis a week before the election.
Joining a "Most Fascinating" list that includes Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton may not help on that front, just as becoming buddies with his idol -- and Obama supporter -- Bruce Springsteen raised eyebrows in some GOP circles.
Walters, for her part, told the Associated Press that she found Christie to be "pleasant, smart, funny," and "good-natured."
He made her list because of his handling of Sandy and because "he's probably now the best-known governor in America," Walters said.
Never mind that Oprah Winfrey already found him fascinating in an hour-long interview on Oprah's Next Chapter in January.
Among those also on Walters' list are Olympic gymnast Gabby Douglas; Family Guy creator Seth MacFarlane; E.L. James, author of 50 Shades of Grey; the boy band One Direction; and the actor-director Ben Affleck.
Most Popular Stories
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion
- Why So Many Top 'Car Guys' Are Actually Women