Three days after he did a not-half-bad bit on Saturday Night Live's
"Weekend Update," it emerged that Christie has landed a spot on Barbara
Walters' list of the "10 Most Fascinating People" of 2012.
Walters went to the State House in Trenton on Tuesday to interview the governor and his wife, Mary Pat, for the 90-minute ABC special, to air Dec. 12.
The news that Christie made Walters' cut came on the same day the New York Times reported he has been busy trying to heal a rift with fellow Republicans still miffed that he spoke positively about President Obama's leadership during the Hurricane Sandy crisis a week before the election.
Joining a "Most Fascinating" list that includes Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton may not help on that front, just as becoming buddies with his idol -- and Obama supporter -- Bruce Springsteen raised eyebrows in some GOP circles.
Walters, for her part, told the Associated Press that she found Christie to be "pleasant, smart, funny," and "good-natured."
He made her list because of his handling of Sandy and because "he's probably now the best-known governor in America," Walters said.
Never mind that Oprah Winfrey already found him fascinating in an hour-long interview on Oprah's Next Chapter in January.
Among those also on Walters' list are Olympic gymnast Gabby Douglas; Family Guy creator Seth MacFarlane; E.L. James, author of 50 Shades of Grey; the boy band One Direction; and the actor-director Ben Affleck.
Most Popular Stories
- 5 Notable Hispanic Technology Executives
- Top Hispanic Tech Companies Push for the Top
- Rand Paul Tops Presidential Straw Poll at Conservative PAC Conference
- Tesla's Alt-Energy Future Aims for Massive Lithium-Ion Battery Production
- New Chat App, Yik Yak, Causes Problems for Students
- China Urges Malaysia Flight Emergency Response
- Gas Prices May Jump from Calif. Emissions Law
- Obama Meets with Ukraine Prime Minister Wednesday
- Russia, Crimea Discuss Referendum
- Visa, MasterCard Team Up to Focus on Payment Security