Ex-boxing champion Hector "Macho" Camacho was in critical condition Tuesday after being shot in Puerto Rico, medical officials said.
Police in San Juan said Camacho -- winner of super lightweight, lightweight and junior welterweight world titles in the 1980 -- was severely injured and a companion killed while they were sitting in a car near a shopping center in San Juan, Puerto Rico newspaper Primera Hora reported.
Authorities said one or two men got out of a sports utility vehicle, walked over to the parked car and opened fire, killing a man identified as Alberto Mojica Yamil Moreno and seriously wounding Camacho, 50.
Ernesto Torres, director of the Rio Piedras Medical Center, told newspaper the ex-boxer was shot in the neck and had lost significant amounts of blood.
Torres said an update on Camacho's prognosis would be issued Wednesday.
Most Popular Stories
- Paniagua Wins Grand Prize in Young Artists Program
- IBM to Pay Big to Unload Chip Division
- Yaris Adds French Flair for US Market
- Sub Hunt Brings Cold War Chill Back to Baltic
- Canadian Pacific Ends CSX Talks
- Cowboys Turn Back Clock to Glory Days
- Kerry Cites Moral Need in Weapons Air Drop
- US Stocks Move Higher Despite Drag by IBM
- Peyton Manning Sets TD Passing Record
- Cable TV Not Going Away, Says Cable TV