Ex-boxing champion Hector "Macho" Camacho was in critical condition Tuesday after being shot in Puerto Rico, medical officials said.
Police in San Juan said Camacho -- winner of super lightweight, lightweight and junior welterweight world titles in the 1980 -- was severely injured and a companion killed while they were sitting in a car near a shopping center in San Juan, Puerto Rico newspaper Primera Hora reported.
Authorities said one or two men got out of a sports utility vehicle, walked over to the parked car and opened fire, killing a man identified as Alberto Mojica Yamil Moreno and seriously wounding Camacho, 50.
Ernesto Torres, director of the Rio Piedras Medical Center, told newspaper the ex-boxer was shot in the neck and had lost significant amounts of blood.
Torres said an update on Camacho's prognosis would be issued Wednesday.
Most Popular Stories
- NSA Defends Global Cellphone Tracking Legality
- Top Websites for U.S. Hispanics
- Ad Counts Rise in 2013 for Hispanic Magazines
- Networks Vie for U.S. Hispanic TV Viewers
- Saab Gets Back into the Game; U.S. Auto Sales Soar
- Apple Activates Customer-Tracking iBeacon
- Dell Offers Undisclosed Number of Employee Buyouts
- 2013 Tech Gift Guide: iPad Mini Still Hot; Chromecast a Great Low-Cost Option
- A Biography of Jonathan Ive, Apple's Creative Chief
- Authorities Close to Deal with JPMorgan Chase over Madoff Response