Ex-boxing champion Hector "Macho" Camacho was in critical condition Tuesday after being shot in Puerto Rico, medical officials said.
Police in San Juan said Camacho -- winner of super lightweight, lightweight and junior welterweight world titles in the 1980 -- was severely injured and a companion killed while they were sitting in a car near a shopping center in San Juan, Puerto Rico newspaper Primera Hora reported.
Authorities said one or two men got out of a sports utility vehicle, walked over to the parked car and opened fire, killing a man identified as Alberto Mojica Yamil Moreno and seriously wounding Camacho, 50.
Ernesto Torres, director of the Rio Piedras Medical Center, told newspaper the ex-boxer was shot in the neck and had lost significant amounts of blood.
Torres said an update on Camacho's prognosis would be issued Wednesday.
Most Popular Stories
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion
- Why So Many Top 'Car Guys' Are Actually Women