Jesse Jackson Junior, son of one of the
country's top civil rights leader, on Wednesday resigned from his
seat in the US House of Representatives, citing health problems.
Jackson, 47, also acknowledged in his letter to House Speaker John Boehner the probe into his alleged misuse of campaign dollars, according to The Chicago Tribune newspaper.
It was his first acknowledgement of the probe, which had been widely reported, The Tribune noted.
Jackson has suffered bipolar depression, for which he has been under treatment and on leave from Congress since June. Despite his absence, he was re-elected to Congress earlier this month.
Jackson is being investigated by the House ethics committee for his alleged attempt to bribe his way to the US Senate seat that was vacated by US President Barack Obama after his election to the presidency in 2008. Obama had two more years in his term.
A representative of Jackson is alleged to have offered to raise millions of dollars in campaign funds for the since-disgraced Illinois governor Rod Blagojevich in exchange for Jackson's being named to the Senate. The ex-governor, whose job included filling congressional vacancies until the next elections, is serving at lest 12 years in federal prison for crimes of influence peddling, including his attempt to sell the US Senate seat.
In his resignation letter, Jackson wrote: "I am doing my best to address the situation responsibly, cooperate with the investigators, and accept responsibility for my mistakes, for they are my mistakes and mine alone."
Most Popular Stories
- Chobani Counters Competition With Expanded Lineup
- 'Beige Book' Federal Reserve Survey, April 2014: Full Text
- Jack White Records Songs, Releases Vinyl in Hours
- 420 Pot Holiday Tries To Go Mainstream
- Malaysia, Flight 370 Relatives Talk Financial Help
- GM Boosting China Production Capacity
- Automakers Turn to China to Fuel Sales Growth
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Delay in Ferry Evacuation Puzzles Maritime Experts
- Pope Francis, Huge Crowd Joyously Celebrate Easter