Text of report in English by Turkish newspaper Today's Zaman
website on 20 November
[Unattributed report: "Turkey agrees to Syria missile defense with NATO members"]
(Todays Zaman) - NATO member states have agreed to supply Turkey with an advanced Patriot missile system to defend against Syrian attacks and talks on its deployment are in the final stage, Turkey's foreign minister said on Tuesday [20 November].
Turkey has been talking to NATO allies about how to shore up security on its 900 kilometre (560-mile) frontier with Syria after mortar rounds landed inside its territory, increasing concerns about the civil war spilling into neighbouring states.
"The countries who supply NATO with Patriot systems are known, we have reached an agreement with those countries. The official application will be completed as soon as possible," Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu told a news conference.
"Intensive work is underway and the talks have reached the final stage," he said in the Turkish capital, Ankara.
Only the United States, the Netherlands and Germany have the appropriate Patriot missile system available. Germany has said it would analyse such a request "with solidarity."
NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen told reporters on Monday that any missile deployment would be a defensive measure to counter mortar rounds, not to enforce a no-fly zone over Syria.
Syrian rebels fighting President Bashar al-Assad's forces have been able to take large swathes of land, but are almost defenceless against Syria's air force. The rebels have called for an internationally enforced no-fly zone, a measure that helped Libyan rebels overthrow their long-term leader last year.
Most Popular Stories
- Schedule packed with talent at the Fox
- Entrepreneurs Chase Social Media
- I never set out to be a role model but it's great to be one ; IN THE HOTSEATBetter known by his stage name Wretch 32, Jermaine Sinclair is a 28-year-old rapper from London. In 2011 his debut album Black and White sold over a million copies and scored three top five singles. His latest single Blackout was released this week
- European Car Sales up First Time in 20 Months
- Emirati announces new film project at Cannes
- Promoter McLean 'provided more musical joy than Dylan and Prince combined'
- The Blade, Toledo, Ohio, TK Barger column
- SINCE YOU ASKED [Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (PA)]
- SET PHASERS TO DUMB Spock emotional and in love? Nonstop explosions? The highly illogical enterprise of J.J. Abrams' 'Star Trek'
- Manila's Hollywood Week