Thanksgiving, set by Congress as the fourth Thursday in November, this year comes as early as it possibly can. And because it stands as the unofficial kickoff to the year-end holidays, that means we're going to have an extra-long holiday season.
Is this something to rejoice about? Or dread? It depends on whether you think your cup of eggnog is half-full or half-empty.
Let's take a look at both sides of the equation.
Pro: There's an extra week for listening to your favorite holiday music.
Con: That's an extra week of listening to Kenny G.
Pro: More time for kids to bask in the gleeful anticipation of all the gifts they're about to receive.
Con: More time for kids to drive parents nuts with their sugar-fueled impatience.
Pro: We'll have more opportunity to lose the extra weight we gained at Thanksgiving before the next round of excessive eating in December.
Con: Let's be serious -- no one is losing any weight during this heavy-noshing period.
Pro: We get extra time to search for just the right gift for that special someone.
Con: We'll just have more time to fret over not being able to find the right gift for that special someone.
Pro: There are more chances for family get-togethers with relatives we usually see only once a year.
Con: It will be more challenging to come up with more excuses for ducking these distant relatives.
Pro: There's an extra week for procrastinators to leave everything to the last minute.
Con: There's an extra week for procrastinators to leave everything to the last minute.
Most Popular Stories
- Fed Committee Optimistic About Growth Prospects
- Pot's Legal in WA -- But You Should Probably Ask Your Boss
- Drive-In Movie Theaters Use Creativity to Afford Digital Switch
- How ESPN Became a $50B Sports Empire
- Obama Cites Letter Writers in Pitching Economy
- Pau Gasol Turns Down Lakers' Offer
- U.S. Immigration Courts Facing Record Backlog
- President Obama Relishes Roadshow, but Agenda Still Stuck
- Stevie Fielder Changes Tune on Thad Cochran Vote-buying Story
- Farrell, Kitsch Rumored for Season 2 of 'True Detective'