Gonzalez Saggio & Harlan LLP, a full-service minority-owned law firm, was instrumental in negotiating a patent license agreement between Microsoft Corp. and Research in Motion (RIM).
As a result of the agreement, RIM is allowed broad access to the latest Extended File Allocation Table (exFAT) for certain of its BlackBerry(R) devices. exFAT is a modern file system from Microsoft that manipulates large files for audiovisual media and enables seamless data portability and easy interchange between desktop PCs and other electronic devices.
Gonzalez Saggio & Harlan was entrusted with advising Microsoft and assisting in carrying out the details of this transaction because of its longstanding relationship with Microsoft and its experience in complex IP transactions, including complex patent transactions.
"We value the relationship we have built with Gonzalez Saggio & Harlan," said Horacio Gutierrez, corporate vice president and deputy general counsel, Intellectual Property Group at Microsoft. "Their experience and counsel, as well as their understanding of our business and licensing goals, proved invaluable in this transaction, and we look forward to their continued guidance on such complex IP and other matters moving forward."
Gonzalez Saggio & Harlan was led on this transaction by Neil Calvin, a partner in the firm working in the Seattle area. "We appreciate the opportunity to work with an industry leading company such as Microsoft and the fact that Microsoft entrusts us to work diligently on its behalf," said Calvin.
Gonzalez Saggio & Harlan LLP is a national minority-owned law firm with 15 offices located in Atlanta; Boca Raton, Fla.; Boston; Chicago; Cleveland; Indianapolis; Los Angeles; Milwaukee; Nashville, Tenn.; New York; Phoenix; Stamford, Conn.; Washington, D.C.; Wayne, N.J; and West Des Moines, Iowa.
Most Popular Stories
- 5 Notable Hispanic Technology Executives
- Top Hispanic Tech Companies Push for the Top
- Russia, Crimea Discuss Referendum
- 'Holy grail of guitars' OM-45 Deluxe Available in in NY Auction
- Justin Bieber Loses Cool Over Selena Gomez
- Maya Angelou Cancels Milagro Gala Appearance Due to Illness
- Spotify Picking up Echo Nest
- Getty Releases Millions of Images for Free Via Embed Tool
- GOP 2016 Hopefuls Face Off at CPAC
- Goya Nutritionist Answers Demand for Healthy Hispanic Dishes