Paula Broadwell, the Charlotte woman involved in the scandal that led to the resignation of David Petraeus as CIA director, returned to her Dilworth home Sunday afternoon with her two children and her husband, Scott.
It was the first time they'd been home since the scandal broke more than a week ago.
On Monday morning, the family appeared to be trying to resume a normal life, as Paula and Scott Broadwell each left the home with a child, possibly taking the children to school.
Neither of the parents would take questions from reporters, but Scott Broadwell asked a group of reporters and photographers outside the home to step back, saying he was worried that someone might get struck by a vehicle being backed out.
Moments later, Paula Broadwell left in one vehicle with a son. Scott Broadwell then pulled out of the driveway with the couple's other son aboard.
On Sunday afternoon, Scott Broadwell told reporters, "At some point, I'll have a statement for you, but not yet."
Paula Broadwell immediately went into the house with the children, while Scott Broadwell unloaded groceries and suitcases from a Jeep Grand Cherokee. When he finishing unloading, he turned to the media and said, "See you guys tomorrow."
Later, about a dozen neighbors and friends arrived at the house, some bringing dinner.
"They're doing really as well as can be expected," neighbor Liz Burgess said. "They just let us have the opportunity to be there for them."
A family acquaintance who did not want to be named said Paula Broadwell was overwhelmed by the outpouring of support from friends and is looking forward to returning to a normal life.
Staff writers Mark Washburn and Steve Lyttle contributed.
Most Popular Stories
- Boehner Lashes Out Against Ted Cruz, Far Right
- TFA Recruiting DACA Recipients
- Hawaii Official Who Release Obama Certificate Only Victim of Plane Crash
- Holiday Shopping Off to a Slow Start This Season
- Ford Plans New Cars, Jobs in 2014
- Gold, Silver Slide on Prospects of Fed Exit
- 'Rape Insurance' Bill Passes in Michigan
- Ted Cruz Coloring Book Selling Briskly
- Kim Jong Un's Uncle Executed
- Grizzly Bears Could Be Taken Off Endangered List