Barbara Walters says she is disappointed Hollywood starlet Lindsay Lohan scrapped their planned interview, then booked an appearance on "The Tonight Show."
"I have a few things to say about Lindsay Lohan," Walters said on Monday's edition of her talk show "The View." "I have been quiet, but here we go. I like Lindsay Lohan very much, let me say this. I have known her for years, since she was a very little girl, a child star and she was very vulnerable and she said whenever she'd do an interview, she would sit down and do it with me."
Walters said she flew to Los Angeles to talk to Lohan on the set of her TV movie "Liz & Dick" for the first part of their interview last June.
The second part was to take place next week ahead of the Elizabeth Taylor bio-picture's debut on Lifetime, but the veteran broadcast journalist said Lohan's longtime publicist recently quit and her new representative canceled her interview with Walters.
Walters said she would have understood, "if they said to me, 'Barbara, she is not up to the kinds of questions you might ask...'"
"Although most of [the questions] were comparing her life to Elizabeth Taylor's -- both child stars, both with aggressive mothers, etc. And it would have been a wonderful, wonderful interview. She could have set a lot of things straight. If they had told me that, I wouldn't feel quite so disappointed as I do today," Walters said, adding she wishes Lohan well even though she was upset to learn the actress had agreed to be interviewed by Jay Leno on "Tonight."
"As far as Jay goes, I love Jay, more power to him," Walters said.
Lohan, 26, starred in a string of hit films such as "The Parent Trap" and "Mean Girls," but in recent years has seen her career eclipsed by her legal troubles, family dramas, and battles with drugs and alcohol.
Most Popular Stories
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion
- Why So Many Top 'Car Guys' Are Actually Women