The dress Judy Garland wore in the film "The Wizard of Oz" fetched $480,000 at a Hollywood memorabilia auction in California, officials said.
The unnamed buyer bought the dress Saturday at Julien's Auctions Beverly Hills Gallery, The Hollywood Reporter said.
Garland's iconic dress was not the only costume sold; the dress Julie Andrews wore in "The Sound of Music" brought $38,400, and a purple skirt worn by Marilyn Monroe during the filming of "River of No Return" sold for $50,000.
Other items sold during the two-day auction included Steve McQueen's racing jacket, which went for $50,000, John Belushi sunglasses from "The Blues Brothers," which brought in $16,640, and glasses worn by Johnny Depp in "Dark Shadows" were sold for $3,250.
Most Popular Stories
- Dell Offers Undisclosed Number of Employee Buyouts
- Saab Gets Back into the Game; U.S. Auto Sales Soar
- Authorities Close to Deal with JPMorgan Chase over Madoff Response
- Apple Activates Customer-Tracking iBeacon
- 2013 Tech Gift Guide: iPad Mini Still Hot; Chromecast a Great Low-Cost Option
- A Biography of Jonathan Ive, Apple's Creative Chief
- It's No Yolk: Food-tech Startups Take Aim at Replacing Eggs
- U.S. Stocks Rise on Sysco Acquisition