Colorado police said a 17-year-old wearing a clown hat and Joker mask was arrested at a movie theater after a prank scared patrons.
The teen, a part-time student at University of Boulder, said he was aware of the July 20 shooting spree at a theater in Aurora, Colo., wherein James Holmes -- dressed as the comic book villain -- allegedly opened fire during a midnight showing of "The Dark Knight Rises," killing 12 and injuring another 58 people. The suspect, who police declined to identify because he is a juvenile, said he was trying to scare friends.
Five different people called police to report the teen's presence and several ran out of the theater in fear, the Boulder Daily Camera reported Sunday. He was charged with five counts of misdemeanor menacing and was taken to a juvenile detention facility, police said.
Most Popular Stories
- 2014 Will Be 'Breakthrough Year' for U.S., Obama Says
- Climate Change Isn't an Equal Opportunity Destroyer
- Renewable Energy Group to Acquire Syntroleum
- Kanye, Kardashians and Other Kooks: A Wacky, Tacky, Entertaining Year
- Luis Suarez Re-ups With Liverpool F.C.
- Covered California Lags on Hispanic Enrollment
- Ally Financial Settles Auto Loan Suit
- Gay Athletes Part of U.S. Sochi Group
- Chris Christie Set to Sign Tuition Aid Bill
- Little Risk of Deportation Under Obama