Colorado police said a 17-year-old wearing a clown hat and Joker mask was arrested at a movie theater after a prank scared patrons.
The teen, a part-time student at University of Boulder, said he was aware of the July 20 shooting spree at a theater in Aurora, Colo., wherein James Holmes -- dressed as the comic book villain -- allegedly opened fire during a midnight showing of "The Dark Knight Rises," killing 12 and injuring another 58 people. The suspect, who police declined to identify because he is a juvenile, said he was trying to scare friends.
Five different people called police to report the teen's presence and several ran out of the theater in fear, the Boulder Daily Camera reported Sunday. He was charged with five counts of misdemeanor menacing and was taken to a juvenile detention facility, police said.
Most Popular Stories
- Apple Planning to Launch Mobile Wallet
- Fantasy Football Gambling Industry Facing Increased Legal Scrutiny
- Netflix Unveils New Way to Share Picks
- Durant Spurns Under Armour to Return to Nike
- Challenge to Texas Voter ID Begins
- Auto Industry Going Back to Bad Habits
- Construction Spending Staged Strong Rebound in July
- Celebrities Vow Revenge on Hackers Who Posted Photos
- Manufacturing in U.S. at Fastest Pace in 3-1/2 Years
- Men Are the Big Winners in the Jobs Recovery