Was she simply in the wrong place at the wrong time?
That's the question family and friends are asking on social media regarding 18-year-old Vanessa 'Honey' Malone. She was shot to death Oct. 23 when she reportedly walked in on an armed robbery at a Stone Mountain apartment complex.
Malone apparently interrupted three to six armed robbers who had tied up two residents and put them in a bathroom in the apartment, according to a DeKalb County police incident report.
The residents, a man and a woman, told police they were in bed at the time the black-clad men armed with handguns and shotguns stormed into their apartment at the Hampton Village Apartments on Tree Mountain Parkway.
The man said the intruders took his wallet, tied up the couple and placed them in a bathtub in the rear of the apartment. The woman told police that shortly thereafter, she heard Malone enter the apartment, heard her screams and then heard several shots. She said she then heard one of the suspects bring Malone back to the rear of the apartment. She said she and the man waited for several minutes before untying themselves and calling police.
When police arrived, they found the couple outside the apartment and Malone inside "unconscious and not breathing, lying on her right side with several gunshot wounds to the body." Malone was declared dead at the scene.
No arrests have been made in Malone's killing, according to DeKalb County police spokeswoman Mekka Parish.
Family members did not return phone calls seeking comment about Malone, whom they called "Honey." But her killing has sparked an outcry on social media. A Facebook page set up in Malone's honor on Friday had spawned nearly 119,000 likes by Wednesday afternoon. Supporters created a hashtag, #JusticeForHoney, on Twitter to spread the word about Malone's death.
Most Popular Stories
- 5 Notable Hispanic Technology Executives
- Top Hispanic Tech Companies Push for the Top
- Visa, MasterCard Team Up to Focus on Payment Security
- Russia, Crimea Discuss Referendum
- China Urges Malaysia Flight Emergency Response
- Taco Bell Rings Up Breakfast Menu
- Sunday Starts Daylight Saving Time
- For Obama, a Last Stab at Improving Ties with Capitol Hill
- Three Americans on Missing Malaysia Airlines Plane: State Department
- California Establishes Center for Coffee Study