Former Penn State defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky will serve the remainder of his 30-to-60 year child-sex abuse sentence at the State Correctional Institution at Greene, about 50 miles south of Pittsburgh, according to the state Department of Corrections.
Sandusky, 68, will be placed in protective custody at the prison, Corrections Secretary John Wetzel said in a statement Wednesday. The corrections department transferred Sandusky after he completed an evaluation process at a diagnostic and classification center in Camp Hill.
"While we normally do not discuss placement of inmates, this individual's notoriety called for the release of this information," Wetzel said. "We make individual decisions based on facts. Given the high profile nature of this individual, coupled with the nature of his crimes, this makes him very vulnerable in a prison setting."
Protective custody involves inmates being housed in a single cell while under additional supervision and escort whenever out of the cell, the corrections department said. Inmates are offered one hour of individual exercise per day, five days a week, and showers three times a week. All meals are served and eaten in the cell. All visits are non-contact.
SCI Greene houses about 1,800 inmates, including more than 150 facing the death penalty.
A jury convicted Sandusky in June on 45 of 48 counts of child sex abuse stemming from allegations involving 10 boys over the last two decades. He will not be eligible for parole until age 98.
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Koch Brothers Step up Anti-Obamacare Campaign
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- Quiznos Files for Chapter 11
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- FDIC Sues Big Banks Over Rate Manipulation
- U.S. Consumer Sentiment Falls in Early March
- Vybz Kartel Convicted of Murder