Patrons of Lawndale Art Center got a head start on Dia de los Muertos with the center's 25th annual Day of the Dead Gala and Silent Auction. This year guests had a field day with 260 handmade retablos up for auction. Dan and Bevin Dubrowski chaired the lively evening, with Glasnost mixing the tunes, bites from Tacos A Go-Go and libations from Tequila Ley .925 and Saint Arnold Brewing Co.
But the festivities aren't over yet. Catch Lawndale's Ofrenda Exhibition, featuring works by area schoolchildren, through Nov. 10. Learn how to make those always-fascinating sugar skulls at 6 and 6:30 p.m. Thursday or papel picado -- cut paper -- at 6 p.m. Nov. 7.
Things will really hop for the Family Day Fiesta, noon-4 p.m. Saturday, when kids' activities include sugar skull decorating. There will be hot chocolate and pan de muerto for the tasting plus performances by Houston Grand Opera, Mixteco Ballet Folklorico and Paedarchy Puppets.
Lawndale Art Center, 4912 Main, is open 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Mondays-Fridays and noon-5 p.m. Saturdays. Admission is free; information at 713-528-5858 or www.lawndaleartcenter.org.
Most Popular Stories
- Top Hispanic Tech Companies Push for the Top
- 5 Notable Hispanic Technology Executives
- Taco Bell Rings Up Breakfast Menu
- Russia, Crimea Discuss Referendum
- California Establishes Center for Coffee Study
- China Urges Malaysia Flight Emergency Response
- For Obama, a Last Stab at Improving Ties with Capitol Hill
- 'Holy grail of guitars' OM-45 Deluxe Available in in NY Auction
- Visa, MasterCard Team Up to Focus on Payment Security
- Sunday Starts Daylight Saving Time