Patrons of Lawndale Art Center got a head start on Dia de los Muertos with the center's 25th annual Day of the Dead Gala and Silent Auction. This year guests had a field day with 260 handmade retablos up for auction. Dan and Bevin Dubrowski chaired the lively evening, with Glasnost mixing the tunes, bites from Tacos A Go-Go and libations from Tequila Ley .925 and Saint Arnold Brewing Co.
But the festivities aren't over yet. Catch Lawndale's Ofrenda Exhibition, featuring works by area schoolchildren, through Nov. 10. Learn how to make those always-fascinating sugar skulls at 6 and 6:30 p.m. Thursday or papel picado -- cut paper -- at 6 p.m. Nov. 7.
Things will really hop for the Family Day Fiesta, noon-4 p.m. Saturday, when kids' activities include sugar skull decorating. There will be hot chocolate and pan de muerto for the tasting plus performances by Houston Grand Opera, Mixteco Ballet Folklorico and Paedarchy Puppets.
Lawndale Art Center, 4912 Main, is open 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Mondays-Fridays and noon-5 p.m. Saturdays. Admission is free; information at 713-528-5858 or www.lawndaleartcenter.org.
Most Popular Stories
- Businesses, Investors Pressing for Green Policy
- 'The Voice' Sounds Different This Season
- NSHMBA to Rebrand With New Name, Logo
- Lower Used-Car Prices Roil the Auto Industry
- Chrysler and Google Launch Virtual Plant Tour
- Investors Fret Yahoo's Future, Stock Dips
- Perry Wants to Skip Court for Foreign Trip
- Liberty Power Helps USHCC Go Green
- Hispanic Designer Honored As Rising Star
- Porn Lovers Get a New Search Engine