Patrons of Lawndale Art Center got a head start on Dia de los Muertos with the center's 25th annual Day of the Dead Gala and Silent Auction. This year guests had a field day with 260 handmade retablos up for auction. Dan and Bevin Dubrowski chaired the lively evening, with Glasnost mixing the tunes, bites from Tacos A Go-Go and libations from Tequila Ley .925 and Saint Arnold Brewing Co.
But the festivities aren't over yet. Catch Lawndale's Ofrenda Exhibition, featuring works by area schoolchildren, through Nov. 10. Learn how to make those always-fascinating sugar skulls at 6 and 6:30 p.m. Thursday or papel picado -- cut paper -- at 6 p.m. Nov. 7.
Things will really hop for the Family Day Fiesta, noon-4 p.m. Saturday, when kids' activities include sugar skull decorating. There will be hot chocolate and pan de muerto for the tasting plus performances by Houston Grand Opera, Mixteco Ballet Folklorico and Paedarchy Puppets.
Lawndale Art Center, 4912 Main, is open 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Mondays-Fridays and noon-5 p.m. Saturdays. Admission is free; information at 713-528-5858 or www.lawndaleartcenter.org.
Most Popular Stories
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion
- Why So Many Top 'Car Guys' Are Actually Women