1) Take Part in A Costume Swap
Costume swaps are taking place all over the country this year. You can host your own swap party with family and friends or visit GreenHalloween.org to find out how you can participate in National Costume Swap Day. You'll not only give once-used costumes a longer life, you'll also be saving a whole lot of money by not buying a new one.
2) Go to Goodwill
Goodwill is a Halloween enthusiast's playground. Whether you're looking for an outrageous outfit, costume jewelry, or fancy dress shoes to complete your Halloween vision, you're sure to find it here and all for a steal!
3) Seek Out Non-Toxic Make-Up
Ban toxic Halloween make-up from your costume. Color additives used in make-up are to be approved by the FDA, so look for that on the label. You can see the entire list of approved color additives at DoYourPart.com/Columns. You will also find a link to The Environmental Working Group's website where you can find a variety of safe, homemade make-up recipes. And one last note, at the end of the night make sure to wash your face several times to remove all that ghoulish make-up.
4) Watch the Teeth!
We've all heard plenty about the potential dangers of certain kinds of flexible plastic that can contain hormone-disrupting phthalates. Some of the plastic considered dangerous is actually used to make Halloween masks and those fake teeth you see so many people putting in their mouths. Best to avoid these when planning costumes for children.
5) Don't Buy Another Plastic Pumpkin
We see them on the arm of so many cute kids - that plastic pumpkin to collect trick or treat goodies. Instead of buying yet another plastic pumpkin, have your child bring along something reusable instead. It could be a pillowcase or a reusable shopping bag. They can even make a 'custom' bag out of one of their favorite t-shirts. It's quick and easy and available at DoYourPart.com/Columns.
No matter what the kids, young or old, decide to be this year, you can still Do Your Part to go green when creating the perfect costume. Happy Halloween!
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Some California Cities Seeking Water Independence
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- Chinese e-Commerce Giant Alibaba Gears for IPO in U.S.
- FDIC Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Banks Allegedly Hurt by Libor Scandal
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- Will Missing Malaysian Jet Prompt Aviation System Change?
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- Obama Seeks to Stay Neutral in CIA-Senate Conflict