Spring Township police have arrested a woman on charges she ran a prostitution ring under the guise of an Internet-based escort service from her West Wyomissing home.
Desiree A. Key, 32, of the 2500 block of Girard Avenue advertised "All About You Escorts" on a Web page that boasted "Discreet and reliable ladies in your area" and "A lady of your choice comes to your location whether it a residence or hotel," Detective Stephen Brock said Friday.
The investigation began Aug. 15 after police received an anonymous packet of information about Key and the escort service.
Brock said the packet contained a typed letter stating that there was "a lot of adult traffic in and out of her home at all hours" and information about the website, which listed a phone number registered to Key.
According to investigators:
Brock called the service and asked to see photos of the women. Key said about 35 women between the ages of 18 and 37 worked for her, but they didn't want their photos online because they have other jobs.
Brock met with Berks County detectives in late August to coordinate an undercover investigation.
On Aug. 31, a county detective called the service and requested an escort be sent to his room at a Wyomissing hotel. During the recorded conversation the detective was told it would cost $160 an hour for a massage and that he could negotiate for additional services when the woman arrived.
About two minutes later, a woman called the detective and told him there would be a $150 additional fee for "full service." She arrived at the room about 11/2 hours later.
The detective asked what the full-service package included, and she replied, "Sex."
The detective received a phone call from another detective posing as his boss. The detective told the woman that he had to return to his work site immediately. The woman charged him a $60 cancellation fee.
Police obtained search warrants for phone records and traced the recorded conversations between the detective and Key and between Key and the escort.
On Thursday, the detective arranged for another escort to meet him at the hotel. Detectives followed Key from her home to the hotel. She went to the room and negotiated an additional fee of $260 for sex acts. The detective gave her the money and other detectives arrested Key.
Key was charged with promoting prostitution and engaging in prostitution.
She was committed to the county prison in lieu of $20,000 bail following arraignment late Thursday in Reading Central Court.
An investigation continues.
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Most Popular Stories
- Emirati announces new film project at Cannes
- Contra Costa Times Chuck Barney column
- The News & Advance, Lynchburg, Va., Casey Gillis column
- Promoter McLean 'provided more musical joy than Dylan and Prince combined'
- Haitian music, culture take center stage at Compas Fest
- I never set out to be a role model but it's great to be one ; IN THE HOTSEATBetter known by his stage name Wretch 32, Jermaine Sinclair is a 28-year-old rapper from London. In 2011 his debut album Black and White sold over a million copies and scored three top five singles. His latest single Blackout was released this week
- Entrepreneurs Chase Social Media
- Gillian Anderson is fired up in 'The Fall', but Whicher is suspiciously dull ; The former 'X-Files' star channels her inner Helen Mirren in a new crime drama set in Belfast
- Daily Trivia Byte
- Joshua Radin loves to sing about love