Bowled out of cricket-mad Guyana, promoter Planet Futbol sought to find a major U.S. stadium to have Guyana host its World Cup qualifier against Mexico after buying the rights to the match. Once a few NFL sites punted, BBVA Compass Stadium officials were more than ready for the biggest game in the history of the new East End facility.
"We tried to look at the option of bigger stadiums," said Planet Futbol president Eduardo Beltramini, a longtime Katy resident. "But we found ourselves with the problem that most of the bigger stadiums are for the NFL. Since they're in season, they aren't available.
"So instead of keeping going in circles with stadiums, we decided to come here to our house, where they've always opened the doors. ... Reliant wasn't available because the Texans play that weekend (Oct. 14)."
The Mexican Federation, which always feels at home in Houston, and the Dynamo are ecstatic to have the World Cup qualifier Oct. 12 at BBVA.
Manchester United forward Javier "Chicharito" Hernandez, midfielder Andres Guardado of Spain's Valencia and goalkeeper Guillermo Ochoa of France's AC Ajaccio highlight the 22-man roster Mexico released Thursday evening for its qualifier against Guyana and El Salvador on Oct. 16.
Mexico wouldn't be visiting if Providence Stadium, the national stadium of Guyana, had been available.
"Without the help and the effort of CONCACAF, this game is not possible for Guyana's interests," said Miguel Trujillo, who represented the Guyana Federation at a news conference Thursday at BBVA. "The first reason Guyana refused playing in Guyana, locally in Georgetown, is that Guyana is a cricket sports country.
"It's not a football country, and they're having the season of cricket, which started last week. And the field conditions for Oct. 12 is impossible. ... CONCACAF helped us to find this opportunity to bring this game here. Of course we have to be proud to be here at BBVA Compass Stadium."
Most Popular Stories
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion
- Why So Many Top 'Car Guys' Are Actually Women