A surfer was seriously injured in a shark attack Tuesday at a Northern California beach, Humboldt County sheriff's deputies said. The 25-year-old victim was bleeding seriously and lapsing into shock when he was driven to a hospital in a pickup truck by some other surfers.
Deputies said the attack occurred around noon near the Eureka Municipal Airport. A witness told the Eureka Times-Standard they heard the victim calling for help and discovered a 14-inch wound on him.
The victim's name was not immediately released.
The attack was believed to be the work of a great white shark and came a week after a surfer was killed by an apparent great white while surfing north of Los Angeles near Lompoc, the Los Angeles Times said.
Most Popular Stories
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion
- Why So Many Top 'Car Guys' Are Actually Women