Halloween can be one of the scariest nights of the year for our animal friends.
Animal welfare organizations in the Sacramento area offer the following tips to keep pets safe this Halloween:
-- Keep pets safely inside during trick-or-treating hours. Frequently opened doors provide the perfect opportunity for escape.
-- Keep dogs away from chocolate treats, which can be toxic to them. Shield animals from burning jack-o-lanterns and decorations that could cause choking if chewed.
-- Never bring dogs along for trick-or-treating. The commotion and costumes could frighten them and cause them to bolt or bite.
-- Make sure pets are wearing their tags and collars just in case they break free.
-- Save the costumes for humans. Dressing up pets can cause them undue stress by restricting their movements, breathing and hearing.
Most Popular Stories
- India Recognizes Transgender People as 'Third Gender'
- German Firm Starts Gas Deliveries to Ukraine
- Alfonso Wins Executive of the Year Award
- Five Secrets for Keeping a Job
- The 420 on the Hemp Products Giveaway
- Study: Casual Marijuana Use May Cause Brain Changes
- Bankrupt Detroit Makes Deal With Retired Cops, Firefighters
- Coca-Cola Soda Sales Lose Pop
- Grand Jury Seated in Rick Perry Ethics Case
- U.S. Homebuilder Confidence Edged Up in April