Halloween can be one of the scariest nights of the year for our animal friends.
Animal welfare organizations in the Sacramento area offer the following tips to keep pets safe this Halloween:
-- Keep pets safely inside during trick-or-treating hours. Frequently opened doors provide the perfect opportunity for escape.
-- Keep dogs away from chocolate treats, which can be toxic to them. Shield animals from burning jack-o-lanterns and decorations that could cause choking if chewed.
-- Never bring dogs along for trick-or-treating. The commotion and costumes could frighten them and cause them to bolt or bite.
-- Make sure pets are wearing their tags and collars just in case they break free.
-- Save the costumes for humans. Dressing up pets can cause them undue stress by restricting their movements, breathing and hearing.
Most Popular Stories
- Criminal Investigation Opened Into James Foley's Death
- Apple Stock Bounces Back Big Time
- Investors Betting on ECB Stimulus Measures
- 'Mythbusters' Build Team Gets the Boot
- Jennifer Lopez Would Marry Again
- Hackers Get Homeland Security Employee Records
- Mo'Ne Davis a Big Winner Despite Loss
- Florida Judge Rules in Favor of GOP Voter Map
- Advocacy Group Calls for Chrysler Probe
- DHS Warns Retailers About Malware in Cash Registers