Halloween can be one of the scariest nights of the year for our animal friends.
Animal welfare organizations in the Sacramento area offer the following tips to keep pets safe this Halloween:
-- Keep pets safely inside during trick-or-treating hours. Frequently opened doors provide the perfect opportunity for escape.
-- Keep dogs away from chocolate treats, which can be toxic to them. Shield animals from burning jack-o-lanterns and decorations that could cause choking if chewed.
-- Never bring dogs along for trick-or-treating. The commotion and costumes could frighten them and cause them to bolt or bite.
-- Make sure pets are wearing their tags and collars just in case they break free.
-- Save the costumes for humans. Dressing up pets can cause them undue stress by restricting their movements, breathing and hearing.
Most Popular Stories
- Tablets, Cars Drive AT&T Gains
- 2015 Mazda MX-5 Miata Is Fast and Eager
- Small Businesses Add 3 More Worries to Their List
- DOMA Tech Adding Jobs to Process VA Claims
- Apple Warns of China iCloud Attack
- Job Hunting Is Hard Work
- Tech Firms Flock to LA's 'Silicon Beach'
- Stocks Subdued After Gains Earlier in Week
- Ford, GM Expect to Report Strong Profits
- Consumer Prices Edge Up, Surprising Economists