Halloween can be one of the scariest nights of the year for our animal friends.
Animal welfare organizations in the Sacramento area offer the following tips to keep pets safe this Halloween:
-- Keep pets safely inside during trick-or-treating hours. Frequently opened doors provide the perfect opportunity for escape.
-- Keep dogs away from chocolate treats, which can be toxic to them. Shield animals from burning jack-o-lanterns and decorations that could cause choking if chewed.
-- Never bring dogs along for trick-or-treating. The commotion and costumes could frighten them and cause them to bolt or bite.
-- Make sure pets are wearing their tags and collars just in case they break free.
-- Save the costumes for humans. Dressing up pets can cause them undue stress by restricting their movements, breathing and hearing.
Most Popular Stories
- Steve Ballmer Files Six-Figure Counterclaim vs. Steve Gordon
- Creepers! Microsoft Buys 'Minecraft' Maker for $2.5 Billion
- Hispanic Buying Power Slow but Growing in South
- Back to School, Even in Immigration Jail
- Apple: Record iPhones 6 Orders on 1st Day
- U.S. Factory Output Slowed 0.4 Percent in August
- Is a Mayweather, Pacquiao Big-Money Fight Possible?
- Clinton: 'Fabulous to Be Back' in Iowa
- When to Say No to Investors, Yes to Mentors
- DOJ Launches Program to Thwart U.S. Extremists