At Florida's businesses that employ 20 people or less, the employment picture was unchanged in October, according to Intuit Payroll in a report released Tuesday.
Nationwide, the smallest firms created 10,000 fewer jobs in October, a 0.05 percent decrease since September.
The October decrease in employment continues a mild decline that began in May, Intuit says. From March 2010 to May 2012, small business employment grew by 150,000 jobs, totaling 19.9 million. Since May, it has fallen by 65,000 jobs, resulting in recovery of 85,000 small business jobs.
"The jobs lost are primarily non-manual routine work, such as word processing and checkout services in retail," said Susan Woodward, economist for Intuit.
October's results are based on data from Intuit Online Payroll and QuickBooks Online Payroll, covering the period from Sept. 24 through Oct. 23.
Most Popular Stories
- Schedule packed with talent at the Fox
- Entrepreneurs Chase Social Media
- European Car Sales up First Time in 20 Months
- I never set out to be a role model but it's great to be one ; IN THE HOTSEATBetter known by his stage name Wretch 32, Jermaine Sinclair is a 28-year-old rapper from London. In 2011 his debut album Black and White sold over a million copies and scored three top five singles. His latest single Blackout was released this week
- The Blade, Toledo, Ohio, TK Barger column
- Promoter McLean 'provided more musical joy than Dylan and Prince combined'
- Emirati announces new film project at Cannes
- Manila's Hollywood Week
- SINCE YOU ASKED [Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (PA)]
- SET PHASERS TO DUMB Spock emotional and in love? Nonstop explosions? The highly illogical enterprise of J.J. Abrams' 'Star Trek'