Current annual salary of the U.S. president is $400,000. The president also receives a $50,000 annual expense allowance, a $100,000 nontaxable travel account and $19,000 for entertainment. The vice president makes $230,700 a year.
--The fathers of both presidential candidates were born on foreign soil. President Obama's father was born in Kenya, while Mitt Romney's father was born in Mexico.
--The Secret Service code name for President Obama is "Renegade" and Vice President Joe Biden's is "Celtic." Mitt Romney's is "Javelin" (a car once made by his father's company, American Motors) and Rep. Paul Ryan's is "Bowhunter."
--Janna Ryan, wife of the Republican vice presidential nominee, is a first cousin of U.S. Rep. Dan Boren, D-Okla. She grew up in Madill.
--Mitt Romney's mother, Lenore LaFount, was an aspiring actress who turned down a contract with MGM studios to marry George Romney.
--As a U.S. senator from Illinois, Barack Obama partnered with Oklahoma Sen. Tom Coburn to create a website to track all federal spending.
--Oklahoma's Garth Brooks performed at President Obama's inaugural concert in January 2009.
--Romney's chief energy adviser is Oklahoma oilman Harold Hamm.
--Ann Romney was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis in 1997 and is a breast cancer survivor.
--First lady Michelle Obama and her brother, Craig Robinson, learned to read at home by age 4 and skipped second grade.
--Vice President Joe Biden struggled with a stutter as a child. He overcame the speech impediment by memorizing poetry and reciting it aloud in front of a mirror.
--Republican vice president nominee Paul Ryan favors a high-intensity workout routine called P90X, shuns sweets and has a body fat index of 6 to 8 percent.
SOURCES: Biography.com, mittromney.com, barackobama.com, about.com the Associated Press, and Tulsa World archives
Most Popular Stories
- NSA Defends Global Cellphone Tracking Legality
- Top Websites for U.S. Hispanics
- Networks Vie for U.S. Hispanic TV Viewers
- Ad Counts Rise in 2013 for Hispanic Magazines
- Saab Gets Back into the Game; U.S. Auto Sales Soar
- Apple Wants Samsung to Pay $22M for Patent Dispute Legal Bills
- Apple Activates Customer-Tracking iBeacon
- Starbucks Gets Grinchy; No Gingerbread Lattes for Tampa Customers
- A Biography of Jonathan Ive, Apple's Creative Chief
- Jobs Report Brings Cheer As Unemployment Drops to Five-year Low