Apple announced a corporate reorganization
and executive shuffle Monday that it said was aimed at increasing
collaboration across hardware, software and services.
As part of the move, Scott Forstall, the company's senior vice president in charge of iOS mobile device software, will leave next year, Apple said. The company declined to detail the specific reasons for the move, but Forstall held overall responsibility for the disastrous launch of Apple Maps in the latest version of the operating system.
Also on his way out is the company's head of retail, John Browett, who only joined Apple in January after serving as chief executive of European electronics chain Dixons Retail since 2007.
The reorganization will see Apple's lead designer, Jony Ive, take responsibility for Human Interface across the company, while Eddy Cue will add Siri and Maps into his existing responsibilities for online services.
Craig Federighi will oversee both of Apple's software tracks, iOS and OS X, while Bob Mansfield will head a newly formed Technologies group for oversee wireless and semiconductor teams.
"We are in one of the most prolific periods of innovation and new products in Apple's history," Apple chief executive Tim Cook said in a statement.
"The amazing products that we've introduced in September and October - iPhone 5, iOS 6, iPad mini, iPad, iMac, MacBook Pro, iPod touch, iPod nano and many of our applications - could only have been created at Apple and are the direct result of our relentless focus on tightly integrating world-class hardware, software and services."
Most Popular Stories
- Microsoft Releases Free OneNote for Mac
- E.U. Puts Sanctions on Russia, Ukraine Officials
- Crimea Seeks Financial Integration With Russia
- Homebuilders Show Rising Confidence in Market
- Jack Daniel's Resists Changes to Tenn. Whiskey Law
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- Obama Imposes Sanctions on Russian Officials
- Chile Shaken by Major Aftershock
- Ford Flies High on Speed
- 'Walking Dead' Takes a Shocking Turn: Recap