The Green Car Journal has named five finalists for its 2013 Green Car of the Year award, with the winner to be revealed at the LA Auto at a press event on Nov. 29. The finalists are the Dodge Dart Aero, the Ford C-MAX, the Ford Fusion, the Mazda CX-5 SkyActiv and the Toyota Prius c.
"This is a very exciting time for the Green Car of the Year program," Ron Cogan, editor and publisher of the Green Car Journal and president of the Green Car Institute, said in a statement. "For two decades now, Green Car Journal has documented the 'greening' of the auto industry, from a time of mere concepts and demonstration programs to today, when the sheer number of environmentally positive production vehicles available to consumers is just eye-opening."
While the Dodge Dart Aero and the Mazda CX-5 SkyActiv are internal-combustion cars, their high mpg means they can give hybrids a run for their money, while the Toyota Prius continues its high-mpg tradition with the Prius c hybrid. The Ford models come in both hybrid and plug-in variants. The Fusion also comes in a fuel-efficient EcoBoost model.
The variety of fuel-efficient vehicles now on the market means the hard part isn't finding one, but figuring out which to buy. It also makes it harder to choose which will get the Green Car of the Year award.
"What's tougher these days is narrowing down the universe of great candidates to a field of five nominees, as we have today," said Cogan.
The winner will be selected by a jury of environmental leaders that includes Michael Brune, Sierra Club executive director; Jean-Michel Cousteau, Ocean Futures Society president; and Matt Petersen, Global Green USA president. Also on the jury is Tonight Show host and car collector Jay Leno, along with Green Car Journal staff.
The 2012 Auto Show, the first major North American auto show of the season, will host some of the industry's most important new vehicle debuts, and will be open to the public Nov. 30-Dec. 9.
Follow the LA Auto Show on Twitter and Facebook, or online at LAAutoShow.com.
Most Popular Stories
- Schedule packed with talent at the Fox
- I never set out to be a role model but it's great to be one ; IN THE HOTSEATBetter known by his stage name Wretch 32, Jermaine Sinclair is a 28-year-old rapper from London. In 2011 his debut album Black and White sold over a million copies and scored three top five singles. His latest single Blackout was released this week
- European Car Sales up First Time in 20 Months
- Promoter McLean 'provided more musical joy than Dylan and Prince combined'
- Entrepreneurs Chase Social Media
- Emirati announces new film project at Cannes
- SET PHASERS TO DUMB Spock emotional and in love? Nonstop explosions? The highly illogical enterprise of J.J. Abrams' 'Star Trek'
- The Blade, Toledo, Ohio, TK Barger column
- SINCE YOU ASKED [Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (PA)]
- Detroit Free Press Julie Hinds column