The Green Car Journal has named five finalists for its 2013 Green Car of the Year award, with the winner to be revealed at the LA Auto at a press event on Nov. 29. The finalists are the Dodge Dart Aero, the Ford C-MAX, the Ford Fusion, the Mazda CX-5 SkyActiv and the Toyota Prius c.
"This is a very exciting time for the Green Car of the Year program," Ron Cogan, editor and publisher of the Green Car Journal and president of the Green Car Institute, said in a statement. "For two decades now, Green Car Journal has documented the 'greening' of the auto industry, from a time of mere concepts and demonstration programs to today, when the sheer number of environmentally positive production vehicles available to consumers is just eye-opening."
While the Dodge Dart Aero and the Mazda CX-5 SkyActiv are internal-combustion cars, their high mpg means they can give hybrids a run for their money, while the Toyota Prius continues its high-mpg tradition with the Prius c hybrid. The Ford models come in both hybrid and plug-in variants. The Fusion also comes in a fuel-efficient EcoBoost model.
The variety of fuel-efficient vehicles now on the market means the hard part isn't finding one, but figuring out which to buy. It also makes it harder to choose which will get the Green Car of the Year award.
"What's tougher these days is narrowing down the universe of great candidates to a field of five nominees, as we have today," said Cogan.
The winner will be selected by a jury of environmental leaders that includes Michael Brune, Sierra Club executive director; Jean-Michel Cousteau, Ocean Futures Society president; and Matt Petersen, Global Green USA president. Also on the jury is Tonight Show host and car collector Jay Leno, along with Green Car Journal staff.
The 2012 Auto Show, the first major North American auto show of the season, will host some of the industry's most important new vehicle debuts, and will be open to the public Nov. 30-Dec. 9.
Follow the LA Auto Show on Twitter and Facebook, or online at LAAutoShow.com.
Most Popular Stories
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion
- Why So Many Top 'Car Guys' Are Actually Women