Mega-millionaire real estate developer Donald Trump says he'll give $5 million to charity if U.S. President Obama releases his college and passport records.
Trump, who likes to say he got the president to release his long form birth certificate, said if Obama's records are turned over by 5 p.m. on Halloween he'll write a $5 million check to a charity of the president's choosing, Politico reported.
In a video posted on Twitter Wednesday, Trump said he's making a "deal that I don't believe he can refuse, and I hope he doesn't."
Trump's deal requires Obama to release his passport records and applications along with his college transcripts and applications "to my satisfaction."
"President Obama is the least transparent president in the history of this country. There's never been anything like it," Trump said. "If he releases these records. It will end the question and indeed the anger of many Americans. They'll know something about their president. Their president will become transparent, like other presidents. I absolutely would be the most happy of all if I did in fact make this contribution through the president to these charities."
Trump didn't explain what question he wanted answered.
Since before Obama won the Democratic presidential nomination in 2008 conservatives have alleged, without any evidence, there must be something in his college records from his time at Columbia University as an undergraduate. Obama earned a law degree from Harvard University.
Reaction from the White House to Trump's offer was quick. Senior adviser David Plouffe said, "Trump is Mitt Romney's biggest supporter, so he owns everything he says."
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- Quiznos Files for Chapter 11
- Vybz Kartel Convicted of Murder
- U.S. Consumer Sentiment Falls in Early March
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- Is Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 in Andaman Sea?
- Koch Brothers Step up Anti-Obamacare Campaign