REDWOOD SHORES, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 10/24/12 -- Oracle (NASDAQ: ORCL)
•Oracle today announced Oracle's StorageTek Virtual Storage Manager 6, the latest generation of its mainframe virtual tape system. •StorageTek Virtual Storage Manager 6 is the first and only mainframe virtual tape storage system to provide a single point of management for the entire system that leverages the security of the mainframe environment. •StorageTek Virtual Storage Manager 6 efficiently manages data and storage resources with automated, policy-driven management that simplifies deployment and streamlines ongoing tape operations for data protection, disaster recovery and archive. •With 2x the performance and more than 1.8x the total disk capacity of the previous generation, the StorageTek Virtual Storage Manager 6 system(1) scales on-demand to over 640 petabytes to meet the needs of high growth data storage environments in a dense, energy efficient data center footprint that helps lower total cost of ownership (TCO). •With sustained system throughput of 1,200 MB/sec, the StorageTek Virtual Storage Manager 6 is approximately 20 percent faster than the IBM TS7700, and can run multiple workloads without degrading system performance, completing jobs faster. The system also scales to over 50x the disk capacity of the IBM TS7720(2). •StorageTek Virtual Storage Manager 6 offers the flexibility to address multiple enterprise configuration requirements including high performance disk-only or massively scalable disk and physical tape, as well as single or multi-site support for disaster recovery. •It also offers the highest levels of availability with its end-to-end high-availability architecture and provides checks to ensure data integrity as it moves throughout the system and from storage tier-to-tier during its lifecycle. •StorageTek Virtual Storage Manager 6 uses a unique triple parity RAID architecture throughout the system to minimize the impact of disk rebuilds, which can be significant with today's high-capacity disks in other architectures. •StorageTek Virtual Storage Manager 6 offers 7x lower five-year TCO(3) than the previous generation and is backwards compatible with all previous generation StorageTek Virtual Storage Manager systems for added investment protection. •Oracle will host a Webcast on November 27 at 10 am PT to provide a deeper dive into the StorageTek Virtual Storage Manager 6. Register here.
•"As customers continue to contend with exponential data growth and the need for 24x7 access to mission-critical data, Oracle is raising the bar with high-performance virtual tape capabilities that can help keep costs down," said James Cates, vice president, Hardware Development, Oracle. "Oracle's new StorageTek Virtual Storage Manager 6 delivers major enhancements in simplicity, scalability and availability that enable customers to better manage mainframe storage environments, maximize their investments in tape, and lower total cost of ownership." •"Oracle is confirming its commitment to the mainframe virtual tape market with the introduction of the next generation of the StorageTek virtual tape technology," said Robert Amatruda, Research Director, Data Protection and Recovery, IDC. "Oracle's Virtual Storage Manager 6 is a feature rich product that leverages the strong mainframe heritage of the StorageTek brand."
•Oracle's StorageTek Tape Storage •Oracle's StorageTek Virtual Storage Manager 6 •Oracle's StorageTek Virtual Storage Manager 3D demonstration •Oracle Hardware on Facebook, Twitter
Oracle engineers hardware and software to work together in the cloud and in your data center. For more information about Oracle (NASDAQ: ORCL), visit http://www.oracle.com/.
(1) Oracle's StorageTek Virtual Storage Manager system includes Oracle's StorageTek Virtual Storage Manager 6 and Oracle's StorageTek Virtual Library Extension.
(2) IBM TS7700 throughput is approximately 960 MB/sec, available here: http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/pdfs/sg247975.pdf. IBM TS7720 disk capacity is 11.23PB (assumes 3:1 compression), available here: http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/storage/tape/ts7700/specifications.html.
(3) TCO is measured as acquisition cost plus support costs over five years.
Oracle and Java are registered trademarks of Oracle and/or its affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
Blanc & Otus
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- FDIC Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Banks Allegedly Hurt by Libor Scandal
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- Chinese e-Commerce Giant Alibaba Gears for IPO in U.S.
- Some California Cities Seeking Water Independence
- Will Missing Malaysian Jet Prompt Aviation System Change?