Puerto Rican actress Rosie Perez stars in a new video in which she addresses presidential candidate Mitt Romney's now-famous remark about his father: "Had he been born of Mexican parents, I would have a better shot at winning this."
Schlep Labs, a project of the pro-Obama Super PAC, Jewish Council for Education & Research (www.jcer.info), has created a YouTube channel where they have uploaded multiple videos featuring "creative people" essentially endorsing Obama.
Perez addresses this comment in the first video of the "Actually..." series, which was uploaded on Oct. 14.
This one is titled, "Easier as a Latino? Actually... " and so far it has garnered about 664,000 views.
"All you have to do is look at the statistics and Mitt's point becomes crystal clear," she says. "Hispanics represent 17 percent of the population and account for less than 2 percent of all elected and appointed officials. The advantage is obvious."
Actually.org also features videos by comedians Sarah Silverman, Walter Kamau Bell and Lizz Winstead.
"Think of all our Hispanic American presidents," Perez says. "from Jorge Washington, Jorge Bush -- uno y dos, and who can forget Presidente Jimmy Smith -- Boricua!"
Perez continues, "Being Latino wouldn't win you the election, but saying jokingly that you wish you were might actually lose a few."
Watch Perez's video in its entirety below:
Most Popular Stories
- NSA Defends Global Cellphone Tracking Legality
- Networks Vie for U.S. Hispanic TV Viewers
- Ad Counts Rise in 2013 for Hispanic Magazines
- Apple Wants Samsung to Pay $22M for Patent Dispute Legal Bills
- Starbucks Gets Grinchy; No Gingerbread Lattes for Tampa Customers
- Apple Paid Its Lawyers More Than $60MM to Defeat Samsung in Court
- Shanghai Smog Forces Factory Shutdowns
- US Consumer Borrowing Rose $18.2B in Oct.
- Economic Bright Spots Not a Sure Boost for President Obama
- Jobs Report Brings Cheer As Unemployment Drops to Five-year Low