An investigation is under way into a complaint by New Mexico Gov. Susana Martinez that her campaign emails were stolen, the U.S. attorney's office confirmed.
The office confirmed last week the matter was being investigated after officials received a request last month, the Albuquerque Journal reported Sunday.
"I can report that the FBI and this office have initiated an investigation into this matter," U.S. Attorney Kenneth Gonzales wrote in a response to Martinez's request.
Some of the emails covered by Martinez' complaint subsequently were released by a Democrat-leaning political action committee funded chiefly by organized labor. The Journal sought correspondence between the governor and law enforcement officials concerning the complaint. The U.S. attorney's letter was the only document released.
Martinez called Gonzales Sept. 24 to ask about the status of her request for an investigation into how emails sent to her campaign email address were obtained and released to the public by Independent Source PAC.
"I am not able to provide any specific details about the investigation at this time," Gonzales said in a letter Sept. 25. "Please be assured that I will contact you with additional information if and when it is appropriate for me to do so."
Independent Source PAC director Michael Corwin won't say how he obtained the emails, but has maintained his source got them legally, the Journal said.
Most Popular Stories
- Businesses, Investors Pressing for Green Policy
- E-scrap Recyclers Find Profits in Upgrades
- Congress Casts a Coy Vote on ISIS War
- Lower Used-Car Prices Roil the Auto Industry
- At Groupon, Not a Good Deal of Workplace Diversity
- 'The Voice' Sounds Different This Season
- Utah Hosts US Hispanic Chamber of Commerce Meeting
- Porn Lovers Get a New Search Engine
- Liberty Power Helps USHCC Go Green
- Investors Fret Yahoo's Future, Stock Dips