Minnesota may not be considered a swing state when it comes to the presidential race, but Duluth and Minneapolis will get a touch of national politics this weekend.
Jill Biden, wife of Vice President Joe Biden, will make a campaign swing through Iowa, Minnesota and Wisconsin, with a stop in Duluth on Saturday afternoon.
She will thank Obama campaign volunteers, said Kristin Sosanie, the state communications director for the Obama campaign.
"There a good organization up there," Sosanie said.
The second lady is expected to arrive at the Duluth Labor Temple, 2002 London Road, at 2 p.m. Saturday to also encourage people to keep canvassing voters for the Nov. 6 election. She has a similar morning event in Minneapolis.
"We're trying to make sure turnout is high," Sosanie said.
Biden will begin her trip Friday in northern Iowa. She will go to a fundraiser in Minneapolis on Friday night and then a campaign office Saturday morning. Plans for Wisconsin stops Sunday and Monday are pending.
The Bidens made an appearance Wednesday in Las Vegas and the vice president slammed Obama opponent Mitt Romney on women's issues. During stump speeches in North Carolina last weekend, Jill Biden also stressed women's issues.
The last time a vice president's wife visited Duluth was during the 2004 presidential campaign, when Vice President Dick Cheney and his wife, Lynne, made a stop at Cirrus Aviation headquarters.
The Bidens visited southern Minnesota in September.
Jill Biden teaches English at a community college in Virginia and has focused on post-secondary education and military family issues during her husband's term as vice president.
The Twin Ports, with its numerous colleges, makes a good stop for Jill Biden's talks on education, Sosanie said.
"She's great talking to students," she said.
More politics will play out Saturday in Superior as Republican Tommy Thompson makes a 9 a.m. stop at Aces on 29th at 2827 Oakes Ave. Thompson is involved in a close race with Democrat Tammy Baldwin.
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Most Popular Stories
- Emirati announces new film project at Cannes
- Promoter McLean 'provided more musical joy than Dylan and Prince combined'
- I never set out to be a role model but it's great to be one ; IN THE HOTSEATBetter known by his stage name Wretch 32, Jermaine Sinclair is a 28-year-old rapper from London. In 2011 his debut album Black and White sold over a million copies and scored three top five singles. His latest single Blackout was released this week
- Contra Costa Times Chuck Barney column
- The News & Advance, Lynchburg, Va., Casey Gillis column
- Entrepreneurs Chase Social Media
- European Car Sales up First Time in 20 Months
- Haitian music, culture take center stage at Compas Fest
- Gillian Anderson is fired up in 'The Fall', but Whicher is suspiciously dull ; The former 'X-Files' star channels her inner Helen Mirren in a new crime drama set in Belfast
- SET PHASERS TO DUMB Spock emotional and in love? Nonstop explosions? The highly illogical enterprise of J.J. Abrams' 'Star Trek'