Citigroup chief Vikram Pandit, one of the most well-known faces on Wall Street, is to step down with immediate effect, the bank said Tuesday.
The reason for the unexpected move was not clear. Vikram is to be replaced by Mike Corbat, head of the company's arm in Europe, the Middle East and Africa.
"Given the progress we have made in the last few years, I have concluded that now is the right time for someone else to take the helm at Citigroup," said Pandit in a statement. "I could not be leaving the company in better hands."
The company's chief operating officer John Havens is also leaving with immediate effect. Citigoup said he had been planning to retire at the end of the year but brought that forward in light of Pandit's decision.
Most Popular Stories
- Chobani Counters Competition With Expanded Lineup
- 'Beige Book' Federal Reserve Survey, April 2014: Full Text
- Jack White Records Songs, Releases Vinyl in Hours
- 420 Pot Holiday Tries To Go Mainstream
- Delay in Ferry Evacuation Puzzles Maritime Experts
- Malaysia, Flight 370 Relatives Talk Financial Help
- Automakers Turn to China to Fuel Sales Growth
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Pope Francis, Huge Crowd Joyously Celebrate Easter
- GM Boosting China Production Capacity