Gold for December rose Tuesday on the Comex division of the New York Mercantile Exchange as the dollar index dropped 0.58 percent.
Gold closed at $1,749.10 per troy ounce and silver added 22 cents to $32.96.
The euro rose to $1.309 from Monday's $1.2949. The British pound rose to $1.6124 from $1.6071. The Canadian dollar fell to 98.65 cents, while the Australian dollar rose to $1.029 from $1.0254. The U.S. dollar rose to 7.7513 Hong Kong dollars from 7.7512.
Against the yen, the dollar rose to 78.89 yen from 78.66 yen.
Most Popular Stories
- Criminal Investigation Opened Into James Foley's Death
- Swiss Suicide Tourism Doubled Since 2009
- Florida's Largest Insurer Says 'Bailout' Attacks Unfair
- Wealth Gap Widened in Past Decade: Census
- James Foley Beheading Sparks Anger, Little Action
- Gap Reports Higher Profits, India Plans
- International Revulsion Grows Over James Foley Death
- Beyonce, Jay-Z Cuba Trip Was Legal After All
- Sears Holdings Loses $573 Million
- Chinese Stock Funds Are a Late-summer Bloomer