Apparently, Pennsylvania's not hotly contested enough to bring the Boss or Bon Jovi.
Four years ago, Bruce Springsteen rocked 50,000 fans on the Parkway in support of Democratic candidate Barack Obama. The following week, Jon Bon Jovi, then owner of the Philadelphia Soul indoor football team, sang at a $10,000-a-plate Obama fundraiser at the home of Comcast exec David L. Cohen in Mount Airy.
But with Obama showing a sizeable lead in the polls in Pennsylvania, the Jersey boys seem to be skipping Philadelphia this election cycle.
Springsteen, despite previous vows to sit out this election, has agreed to perform in two swing states, Ohio on Thursday and later in Iowa, the Obama campaign announced over the weekend.
Country singer Rodney Atkins will also sing Thursday in Ohio, but for challenger Mitt Romney.
Jon Bon Jovi, who rode on Air Force One with the president in June, already did Iowa and was part of an Oct. 7 rally-concert in Los Angeles with Katy Perry, Stevie Wonder, Jennifer Hudson, and Earth Wind & Fire that featured an appearance by the president.
So far, no word of return appearances for the Jersey boys in Philadelphia.
Romney's other celebrity supporters include ex-Denver Broncos quarterback John Elway, a legend in swing state Colorado, and Oscar winner Clint Eastwood, whose speech to an empty chair at the Republican National Convention certainly got people talking.
As for lesser lights, whose endorsements may have dubious value, Obama has Jersey Shore star Nicole "Snooki" Polizzi, while Romney has actress/parolee Lindsay Lohan.
Springsteen also performed at Philadelphia's Wachovia Center in 2004 in support of Sen. John Kerry's presidential bid.
Most Popular Stories
- Stop-Start Engines Save Gas, Reduce Emissions
- Shia LaBeouf Plea Deal, Alcoholism Treatment
- Ohio State Band Chief Fired After Probe
- Hispanic Leader Goes the Extra Mile
- World Tensions Don't Curb Enthusiasm for Stocks
- U.K. Economy Surpasses Pre-Crisis Peak
- Morgan Stanley Ponies Up $275 Million to Settle SEC Charges
- Ricky Martin Joins 'The Voice ... Mexico'
- Jennifer Lopez, Pitbull to Perform at Fashion Rocks
- Visa, Amazon Results Drag Down the Street