The fourth annual Belleza De Nuestra Salud, or Beauty of Our Health, was held in Reading Area Community College's Schmidt Training and Technology Center on Saturday morning, providing information, food and entertainment. The event was conducted in Spanish.
"The goal is to educate females," said Myra Pina, health initiatives representatives for special populations for the American Cancer Society. "Many times the mother is the head of the Hispanic households, and when they get sick, it affects the entire family."
The free event featured workshops on oral cancer, prescription medication safety and mental health.
Pina said that many times, language and technological barriers create a health disparity for women in the Latino community.
"Every year we are asked when our next event will be," Pina said. "They are looking for something in their language that has the information they need."
The first floor of the building was dedicated to informational sessions while on the second floor participants could take advantage of free screenings for blood pressure, glucose, cholesterol and oral cancer.
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Most Popular Stories
- 5 Notable Hispanic Technology Executives
- Top Hispanic Tech Companies Push for the Top
- 'Holy grail of guitars' OM-45 Deluxe Available in in NY Auction
- Russia, Crimea Discuss Referendum
- Justin Bieber Loses Cool Over Selena Gomez
- Maya Angelou Cancels Milagro Gala Appearance Due to Illness
- Spotify Picking up Echo Nest
- GOP 2016 Hopefuls Face Off at CPAC
- Getty Releases Millions of Images for Free Via Embed Tool
- Daylight Savings Time Comes This Weekend