Jose L. Cruz, vice president for higher education policy and practice at The Education Trust, has been appointed provost and vice president for academic affairs at California State University, Fullerton. He will begin his new role Dec. 3.
"Dr. Cruz brings many years of experience as a faculty member, scholar and senior administrator," said Mildred Garcia, CSUF president. "His work engaging with faculty in the creation of innovative academic programs, developing partnerships and working collaboratively on different college campuses will only grow the impressive work already being done on our campus."
The Education Trust is a national research and advocacy organization that promotes equity-minded educational policies and practices, serving 3.5 million students.
Cruz's work in higher education issues has been covered by various media outlets, including the Washington Post, New York Times, Huffington Post, Chronicle of Higher Education, Inside Higher Ed, CNN and Univision.
Most recently, he has been involved in separate efforts to regulate for-profit colleges and to protect the federal Pell Grant Program.
Cruz previously served as vice president for student affairs of the 11-campus University of Puerto Rico (UPR). He also served as UPR's strategic planning coordinator and co-founded Puerto Rico's K-16 Council.
He is currently on leave from the University of Puerto Rico-Mayaguez, where he is a tenured professor of electrical and computer engineering.
Cruz earned his doctorate and master's degree in electrical engineering at the Georgia Institute of Technology. He succeeds Steven Murray, interim provost and vice president for academic affairs, who announced his retirement for December.
Most Popular Stories
- McDonald's Packages Coffee for National Distribution
- Homebuilder Confidence at Highest Since January
- Parents Opt to Keep Baby Photos off Facebook
- HTC Makes Windows Version of Flagship One Phone
- Rising U.S. Consumer Prices Slowed Down in July
- Sprint Cancels Framily, Rolls Out New Data Pricing Plan
- 'Turtles' Easily Tops 'Expendables 3' at Weekend Box Office
- Home Depot Builds Nice Net Income in Q2
- Mike Brown Death Timeline
- St. Francis Names Rodriguez as New Dean