The U.S. Census Bureau has established a new National Advisory Committee on Racial, Ethnic and Other Populations.
Three Hispanics have been appointed to the 31-member panel. They are Angelo Falcon, president and founder, National Institute for Latino Policy; Jacinto Juarez, dean emeritus, Laredo Community College in Texas; and Altagracia Ramos, founder, Ohio Hispanic Chambers of Commerce.
The committee will advise the Census Bureau on variables that affect the cost, accuracy and implementation of the bureau's programs and surveys, including the 10-year census. The committee will advise the bureau on topics such as housing, privacy, and race and ethnicity.
"We expect that the expertise of this committee will help us meet emerging challenges the Census Bureau faces in producing statistics about our diverse nation," said Thomas Mesenbourg, the bureau's acting director.
The members, who serve at the discretion of the Census Bureau director, are chosen to serve based on expertise and knowledge of the cultural patterns and statistical needs of hard-to-count populations.
"By helping us better understand a variety of issues that affect statistical measurement," Mesenbourg added, "this committee will help ensure that the Census Bureau continues to provide relevant and timely statistics used by federal, state and local governments as well as business and industry in an increasingly technologically oriented society."
The committee will hold its first meeting Oct. 25-26 at Census Bureau headquarters in Suitland, Md. The meeting is open to the public.
Most Popular Stories
- 5 Notable Hispanic Technology Executives
- Top Hispanic Tech Companies Push for the Top
- Rand Paul Tops Presidential Straw Poll at Conservative PAC Conference
- Tesla's Alt-Energy Future Aims for Massive Lithium-Ion Battery Production
- New Chat App, Yik Yak, Causes Problems for Students
- China Urges Malaysia Flight Emergency Response
- Russia, Crimea Discuss Referendum
- Visa, MasterCard Team Up to Focus on Payment Security
- Gas Prices May Jump from Calif. Emissions Law
- Obama Meets with Ukraine Prime Minister Wednesday