President Obama on
Wednesday nominated Gen. Joseph Dunford as the new commander of
NATO forces in Afghanistan, as Gen. John Allen moves on to be the
next Supreme Allied Commander Europe and Commander of U.S. European
In a statement, Obama said he has "full confidence" in Dunford' s extensive experience, strategic leadership and vision to serve as the next commander of U.S. Forces and NATO International Security Assistance Forces (ISAF) in Afghanistan. Dunford currently serves as Assistant Commandant of the U.S. Marine Corps.
If confirmed by the Senate, Obama said Dunford "will lead our forces through key milestones in our effort that will allow us to bring the war to a close responsibly as Afghanistan takes full responsibility for its security."
Dunford, a four-star general, was born in Boston, Massachusetts, in 1955. He went into the military straight out of college, and commanded several units before becoming Assistant Commandant of the Marine Corps. He was noted for commanding the 5th Marine Regiment during the 2003 invasion of Iraq.
Obama also spared no praise for Allen, saying Allen has established his credibility with NATO allies and ISAF partners as a strong and effective military leader. He said under Allen's command, NATO forces have made important progress towards the goal of defeating al Qaeda and ensuring they can never return to Afghanistan.
Allen succeeded David Petraeus in July 2011 to become commander of the ISAF and U.S. forces in Afghanistan, overseeing the withdrawal of U.S. troops from that country. He was nominated by Obama as Supreme Allied Commander Europe and Commander of U.S. European Command Wednesday, pending Senate confirmation.
U.S. forces are set to hand over security responsibilities to Afghan forces by the end of 2014. But the foreign forces there are facing a growing problem of the so-called insider attacks, in which gunmen in Afghan security forces uniforms attack foreign forces. Dozens have been killed so far this year.
Most Popular Stories
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion
- Why So Many Top 'Car Guys' Are Actually Women