NASA and the Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex will invite 28 of their social media followers to a two-day NASA Social Nov. 1-2 in Florida. The event will commemorate the move of space shuttle Atlantis from Kennedy's Vehicle Assembly Building to its final destination for permanent display at the center's visitor complex. Parts of the social will be carried live on NASA Television and the agency's website.
Atlantis will make the 10-mile rolling journey Nov. 2 atop a 76-wheel flatbed vehicle called the Orbiter Transportation System. The move will conclude at Atlantis' new permanent home, which is under construction. The exhibit is set to open during the summer of 2013.
During the NASA Social, people who engage with NASA through Twitter, Facebook and Google+ will have an opportunity for a special "hard hat tour" of the new Atlantis exhibit building and to witness the arrival of Atlantis at Space Florida's Exploration Park. Participants will speak with experts from NASA's human spaceflight and commercial programs, tour NASA facilities, see featured spaceflight hardware from the past, present and future, and listen to presentations honoring the Space Shuttle Program. Guests also will be able to interact with fellow NASA social media followers, space enthusiasts and members of NASA's social media team.
The NASA Social registration opens at noon EDT, Monday, Oct. 15, and closes at noon EDT, Wednesday, Oct. 17. Twenty-eight participants will be selected randomly from online registrations. Because of limited space, those selected to attend may not bring a guest. Each participant must be a U.S. citizen age 18 or older.
Most Popular Stories
- I never set out to be a role model but it's great to be one ; IN THE HOTSEATBetter known by his stage name Wretch 32, Jermaine Sinclair is a 28-year-old rapper from London. In 2011 his debut album Black and White sold over a million copies and scored three top five singles. His latest single Blackout was released this week
- Promoter McLean 'provided more musical joy than Dylan and Prince combined'
- Emirati announces new film project at Cannes
- Schedule packed with talent at the Fox
- SINCE YOU ASKED [Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (PA)]
- Entrepreneurs Chase Social Media
- SET PHASERS TO DUMB Spock emotional and in love? Nonstop explosions? The highly illogical enterprise of J.J. Abrams' 'Star Trek'
- European Car Sales up First Time in 20 Months
- Contra Costa Times Chuck Barney column
- The News & Advance, Lynchburg, Va., Casey Gillis column