Japan's mobile carrier Softbank Corp is in talks to buy more than two-thirds of shares in US Sprint Nextel Corp, the third-largest mobile phone company, for more than $19.2 billion (1.5 trillion yen), news reports said Thursday.
The deal would enable Softbank, the vendor of Apple Inc's iPhone smartphones in Japan, to get a foothold in the US market, the Nikkei business daily reported.
Softbank announced this month it would acquire smaller mobile service operator eAccess Ltd in Japan.
Most Popular Stories
- Homeowners More Satisfied With Mortgage Servicers
- Russia, Ukraine Now Face Off Over Football Clubs
- Law Lets Users Unlock Cellphones
- Reno Gigafactory No Cinch to Land Tesla Plant
- Body Parts Retrieved at MH17 Crash Site
- Government Meets Goal for Small-business Contracts
- Motorists Get Rare Summer Break on Gas Prices
- Obama Vows to Veto House Immigration Bill
- Chrysler U.S. Sales in July Hit 9-Year High
- MassMutual Teams Up With ALPFA