Patriots linebacker Brandon Spikes has been very active on Twitter, often engaging his fans, for better or worse.
Last night, he attempted to make a joke that drew a mixed reaction, tweeting, "I'm homophobic just like I'm arachnophobic. I have nothing against homosexuals or spiders, but I'd still scream if I found one in my bathtub!"
Spikes later tweeted that he was simply joking: "PEOPLE !!!! It's a joke ... seriously a JOKE !!! Chill out."
One of his followers tweeted at Spikes, "Really dude? Love you as a player, but kill the joke-telling." Another reminded him to be a role model and October is anti-bullying month. Other followers told him to keep being himself and not worry about being politically correct.
The tweet earned much attention from the local news stations last night as well as talk on sports radio this morning.
The NFL doesn't typically step in on Twitter matters. The league didn't fine Packers guard T.J. Lang for blasting the replacement officials for costing them a game against the Seahawks, and it didn't fine Spikes for similar comments after the Pats' loss to the Ravens.
The Patriots could discipline Spikes under a personal conduct policy, but they usually keep such matters in-house.
Most Popular Stories
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion
- Why So Many Top 'Car Guys' Are Actually Women