Patriots linebacker Brandon Spikes has been very active on Twitter, often engaging his fans, for better or worse.
Last night, he attempted to make a joke that drew a mixed reaction, tweeting, "I'm homophobic just like I'm arachnophobic. I have nothing against homosexuals or spiders, but I'd still scream if I found one in my bathtub!"
Spikes later tweeted that he was simply joking: "PEOPLE !!!! It's a joke ... seriously a JOKE !!! Chill out."
One of his followers tweeted at Spikes, "Really dude? Love you as a player, but kill the joke-telling." Another reminded him to be a role model and October is anti-bullying month. Other followers told him to keep being himself and not worry about being politically correct.
The tweet earned much attention from the local news stations last night as well as talk on sports radio this morning.
The NFL doesn't typically step in on Twitter matters. The league didn't fine Packers guard T.J. Lang for blasting the replacement officials for costing them a game against the Seahawks, and it didn't fine Spikes for similar comments after the Pats' loss to the Ravens.
The Patriots could discipline Spikes under a personal conduct policy, but they usually keep such matters in-house.
Most Popular Stories
- Illinois Issues Fracking Rules
- Americans Still Pessimistic Despite Economic Growth
- Detroit Muslim Conference Stirs Controversy
- Canada, Russia Go to War (on Twitter)
- Echeveste Steps Down, Perez Steps Up at VPE
- Startups Offer Smartphone Banking Apps
- Hip-Hop Takes Up Ferguson Cause
- 'Longmire' Cancelled, Looks for New Network
- Clippers Deal Started With 2 Numbers
- Immigration Delay Throws Both Parties a Curve