NEW YORK, Oct. 10, 2012 /PRNewswire-HISPANIC PR WIRE/ -- The Latino Commission on AIDS applauds the launch of the OraQuick� In-Home HIV Test, the first and only rapid Over The Counter (OTC) HIV test approved in the U.S.
"The new OraQuick� In-Home HIV Test is a critical new tool in addressing the impact of HIV/AIDS in our communities," said Guillermo Chacon, President of the Latino Commission on AIDS. "This test will help to reduce stigma and fill an unmet need by providing a testing option for individuals not testing in professional settings. By enabling people to test in the privacy of their home, we will increase the number of people who learn their HIV status and reduce the number of AIDS-related deaths. We also commend Magic Johnson and others who have voiced their support of the OraQuick OTC test."
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, there are approximately 1.2 million people in the U.S. that have HIV and approximately 240,000 of them are unaware of their status. Additionally, according to the CDC, Hispanic/Latinos represent approximately 16 percent of the total US population, but account for 20 percent of new HIV infections in the United States. Hispanic/Latinos are also known as "late-testers", meaning that 36% of Hispanic/Latinos are diagnosed with AIDS within 12 months of their HIV positive test result.
The OraQuick� In-Home HIV Test can detect antibodies to both HIV-1 and HIV-2 with an oral swab, providing a confidential in-home testing option with results in as little as 20 minutes. It is the first rapid diagnostic test for any infectious disease that has been approved by the FDA for sale over the counter. The OraQuick� In-Home HIV Test is available now at http://www.oraquick.com and at more than 30,000 retail outlets throughout the country in October.
ABOUT THE LATINO COMMISSION ON AIDS
The Latino Commission on AIDS (Commission) is a nonprofit membership organization founded in 1990 dedicated to meet the health challenges and addressing the impact of HIV/AIDS. The Commission is the leading organization coordinating National Hispanic Hepatitis Awareness Day (May 15), National Latino AIDS Awareness Day (October 15), Latinos and the Deep South, and other prevention, research, capacity building, and advocacy programs across the United States and its territories. http://www.latinoaids.org
SOURCE National Latino Commission on AIDS
Most Popular Stories
- Scholarships Offered for Hispanic Heritage Month
- Boeing Succeeds in Early Wooing of China Airline Startups
- Latin America Seeks Ways to Add Value to China Exports
- EU Finance Ministers Discuss Investment Plan
- Steve Ballmer Files Six-Figure Counterclaim vs. Steve Gordon
- IS Releases New Beheading Video
- Detroit Bankruptcy: Pivotal Progress in Trial's Second Week
- Will Apple's Digital Wallet Conquer the Card Swipe?
- Apple Reportedly Spent $100MM for Free U2 Album from iTunes
- Olive Garden's Breadsticks Targeted by Activist Investor