Yahoo! Inc. today announced that it has hired Scott Thompson as its new chief executive officer, effective Jan. 9. Thompson was formerly president of PayPal, a division of eBay.
Tim Morse, who has served as interim CEO since the dismissal of Carol Bartz four months ago, will resume his role as Yahoo!'s chief financial officer.
Of his new company, Thompson said, "Yahoo! is an industry icon and I am very excited about the prospect of working with one of the great teams in the online world to deliver Yahoo!'s next era of success."
Yahoo!, a digital media company, was measured by comScore Media Metrix (September 2011) as the No. 2 site in the U.S., racking up almost 180 million unique visitors each month. Yahoo! is headquartered in Sunnyvale, Calif.
Most Popular Stories
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- FDIC Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Banks Allegedly Hurt by Libor Scandal
- Some California Cities Seeking Water Independence
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- Chinese e-Commerce Giant Alibaba Gears for IPO in U.S.
- Will Missing Malaysian Jet Prompt Aviation System Change?