Yahoo! Inc. today announced that it has hired Scott Thompson as its new chief executive officer, effective Jan. 9. Thompson was formerly president of PayPal, a division of eBay.
Tim Morse, who has served as interim CEO since the dismissal of Carol Bartz four months ago, will resume his role as Yahoo!'s chief financial officer.
Of his new company, Thompson said, "Yahoo! is an industry icon and I am very excited about the prospect of working with one of the great teams in the online world to deliver Yahoo!'s next era of success."
Yahoo!, a digital media company, was measured by comScore Media Metrix (September 2011) as the No. 2 site in the U.S., racking up almost 180 million unique visitors each month. Yahoo! is headquartered in Sunnyvale, Calif.
Most Popular Stories
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion
- Why So Many Top 'Car Guys' Are Actually Women