Yahoo! Inc. today announced that it has hired Scott Thompson as its new chief executive officer, effective Jan. 9. Thompson was formerly president of PayPal, a division of eBay.
Tim Morse, who has served as interim CEO since the dismissal of Carol Bartz four months ago, will resume his role as Yahoo!'s chief financial officer.
Of his new company, Thompson said, "Yahoo! is an industry icon and I am very excited about the prospect of working with one of the great teams in the online world to deliver Yahoo!'s next era of success."
Yahoo!, a digital media company, was measured by comScore Media Metrix (September 2011) as the No. 2 site in the U.S., racking up almost 180 million unique visitors each month. Yahoo! is headquartered in Sunnyvale, Calif.
Most Popular Stories
- 2014 Will Be 'Breakthrough Year' for U.S., Obama Says
- Target Overwhelmed by Worried Customers
- Congress Ends Turbulent Year with Approving IRS Chief
- First Family Arrives for Hawaiian Island Holiday
- Covered California Lags on Hispanic Enrollment
- Renewable Energy Group to Acquire Syntroleum
- Ally Financial Settles Auto Loan Suit
- Climate Change Isn't an Equal Opportunity Destroyer
- Kanye, Kardashians and Other Kooks: A Wacky, Tacky, Entertaining Year
- Luis Suarez Re-ups With Liverpool F.C.