Yahoo! Inc. today announced that it has hired Scott Thompson as its new chief executive officer, effective Jan. 9. Thompson was formerly president of PayPal, a division of eBay.
Tim Morse, who has served as interim CEO since the dismissal of Carol Bartz four months ago, will resume his role as Yahoo!'s chief financial officer.
Of his new company, Thompson said, "Yahoo! is an industry icon and I am very excited about the prospect of working with one of the great teams in the online world to deliver Yahoo!'s next era of success."
Yahoo!, a digital media company, was measured by comScore Media Metrix (September 2011) as the No. 2 site in the U.S., racking up almost 180 million unique visitors each month. Yahoo! is headquartered in Sunnyvale, Calif.
Most Popular Stories
- Doctor Who Christmas Episode Begins Production
- HCL America Adding 1,200 IT Jobs
- Medical Mfg. Jobs Coming to Dayton
- Michael Jackson, Freddie Mercury on Previously Unreleased Queen Cut
- Longtime Unemployed to Get Help in Las Vegas
- SpaceX Aims for Predawn Launch on Saturday
- Women Key to Democratic Party: Clinton
- U.S. Chamber Caught Up in Tax Inversion Question
- Feds Won't Say How Many Border Crossers Jailed
- Christie Didn't Order Bridge Shut Down, Feds Say