Shakira is the first Colombian to be honored with France's Chevalier De L'Ordre des Arts et des Lettres medal, which she reveived this past weekend.
She received the honor from the French Minister of Culture Frédéric Mitterrand. The singer was is in Cannes to open the NRJ Music Awards Jan. 28 with her No. 1 hit "Je L'Aime A Mourir."
The Chevalier De L'Ordre des Arts et des Lettres medal recognizes significant contributions to the arts and literature. Other awardees of the prestigious medal include TS Eliot, George Clooney and Clint Eastwood.
"I am so humbled to receive this honor in a country like France that has shared an important cultural legacy with the rest of the world," she said in a comment, according to her website.
According to US Magazine, Justin Bieber took home the male version of the award.
Check out these photos that team Shakira shared on her Facebook profile.
Most Popular Stories
- Fed Committee Optimistic About Growth Prospects
- IBM Investing $3 Billion in Chip Research
- Sales Show Samsung Needs Next Big Thing
- Collegefeed Connects Grads and Jobs
- Emmys: The List of Nominees
- Average 30-Year Mortgage Rate Rises to 4.15 Percent
- Don't Expect Bank Earnings to Shine in Q2
- Boehner Says No to Palin's Call for Impeachment
- Joseph Swedish: WellPoint Readies for Tech Wave
- N.D. Pipeline Cleanup Could Take Weeks