Shakira is the first Colombian to be honored with France's Chevalier De L'Ordre des Arts et des Lettres medal, which she reveived this past weekend.
She received the honor from the French Minister of Culture Frédéric Mitterrand. The singer was is in Cannes to open the NRJ Music Awards Jan. 28 with her No. 1 hit "Je L'Aime A Mourir."
The Chevalier De L'Ordre des Arts et des Lettres medal recognizes significant contributions to the arts and literature. Other awardees of the prestigious medal include TS Eliot, George Clooney and Clint Eastwood.
"I am so humbled to receive this honor in a country like France that has shared an important cultural legacy with the rest of the world," she said in a comment, according to her website.
According to US Magazine, Justin Bieber took home the male version of the award.
Check out these photos that team Shakira shared on her Facebook profile.
Most Popular Stories
- Businesses, Investors Pressing for Green Policy
- Who's Next? More Nude Celeb Pics Hacked, Leaked
- Tips for Hiding, Securing Data on Smartphones
- Cristela Gets a Big Thumbs Up
- Iran Says Syria Strikes Illegal
- Lower Used-Car Prices Roil the Auto Industry
- E-scrap Recyclers Find Profits in Upgrades
- ISIS Calls for Jihad Against 'Filthy French'
- Congress Casts a Coy Vote on ISIS War
- 'The Voice' Sounds Different This Season