Shakira is the first Colombian to be honored with France's Chevalier De L'Ordre des Arts et des Lettres medal, which she reveived this past weekend.
She received the honor from the French Minister of Culture Frédéric Mitterrand. The singer was is in Cannes to open the NRJ Music Awards Jan. 28 with her No. 1 hit "Je L'Aime A Mourir."
The Chevalier De L'Ordre des Arts et des Lettres medal recognizes significant contributions to the arts and literature. Other awardees of the prestigious medal include TS Eliot, George Clooney and Clint Eastwood.
"I am so humbled to receive this honor in a country like France that has shared an important cultural legacy with the rest of the world," she said in a comment, according to her website.
According to US Magazine, Justin Bieber took home the male version of the award.
Check out these photos that team Shakira shared on her Facebook profile.
Most Popular Stories
- Koch Brothers Step up Anti-Obamacare Campaign
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- FDIC Sues Big Banks Over Rate Manipulation
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- Stocks Close Lower Ahead of Crimea Vote
- Vybz Kartel Convicted of Murder
- U.S. Consumer Sentiment Falls in Early March
- Quiznos Files for Chapter 11
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet