Shakira is the first Colombian to be honored with France's Chevalier De L'Ordre des Arts et des Lettres medal, which she reveived this past weekend.
She received the honor from the French Minister of Culture Frédéric Mitterrand. The singer was is in Cannes to open the NRJ Music Awards Jan. 28 with her No. 1 hit "Je L'Aime A Mourir."
The Chevalier De L'Ordre des Arts et des Lettres medal recognizes significant contributions to the arts and literature. Other awardees of the prestigious medal include TS Eliot, George Clooney and Clint Eastwood.
"I am so humbled to receive this honor in a country like France that has shared an important cultural legacy with the rest of the world," she said in a comment, according to her website.
According to US Magazine, Justin Bieber took home the male version of the award.
Check out these photos that team Shakira shared on her Facebook profile.
Most Popular Stories
- Twitter Coming to Phones Without Internet
- Entravision Initiates Quarterly Cash Dividend
- Shanghai Smog Forces Factory Shutdowns
- Warner Bros. Unleashes 'Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug' Merchandise
- Amanda Bynes Enrolls in California's FIDM
- Obamacare Doing Just Fine, Ky. Governor Says
- How to Arm Yourself Against CryptoLocker Virus
- Eagle Deaths OK'd for Wind Power
- World Cup Draws: Coaches, Players Offer Insights
- Consistent Hiring Points to Stronger Economy Ahead