First lady Michelle Obama Wednesday announced a coordinated effort by 130 colleges to train doctors to deal with U.S. military veterans' health issues.
The goal of the Obama administration's collaboration with the Association of American Medical Colleges and the American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine is to produce doctors, medical schools and research facilities that provide healthcare that meets the needs of the military and veterans communities, Obama said in a statement released by the White House.
"I'm inspired to see our nation's medical schools step up to address this pressing need for our veterans and military families," she said during the announcement event in Richmond, Va. "By directing some of our brightest minds, our most cutting-edge research, and our finest teaching institutions toward our military families, they're ensuring that those who have served our country receive the first-rate care that they have earned."
Dr. Darrell G. Kirch, president and chief executive officer of the AAMC, said the coordinated effort "renews our commitment to the wellness of our nation's military."
Dr. Stephen C. Shannon, president and CEO of the AACOM, said the effort "could have a significant impact on the health and well-being of our nation's veterans."
While in Virginia, the first lady spoke to about 300 supporters who attended a lunchtime fundraiser at the Richmond Marriott that cost at least $500 to attend. Her 20-minute speech on topics including healthcare reform and the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act drew repeated applause.
Most Popular Stories
- McDonald's Packages Coffee for National Distribution
- Castro-Blanco Joins Fifth Street Finance Board
- HTC Makes Windows Version of Flagship One Phone
- Ballmer Steps Down From Microsoft Board
- Rising Freight Prices Signal Global Recovery
- Eric Holder Bringing Civil Rights Reminders to Ferguson
- Sprint Cancels Framily, Rolls Out New Data Pricing Plan
- Uber Hires Obama Campaign Manager David Plouffe
- Bob Marley Musical to Make Premiere in Baltimore
- Russia Claims Ukraine Leaders Are Satanists, Jews or Maybe Even Scientologists