Amazon announced a new deal Monday to stream Fox movies and TV shows online, just two days before the web giant is expected to announce its challenger to Apple's iPad.
The content deal with Fox could boost the chances of Amazon's tablet as it seeks to build a tightly integrated system that will allow users to consume media, browse the web, shop Amazon's online store and use the company's other services.
Amazon has not confirmed that it will announce the new tablet at a scheduled Wednesday press event, but rumours of the iPad challenger have been swirling for months.
Though other would-be iPad rivals - the likes of Samsung, HP and RIM - have all failed to take off, analysts see Amazon's millions of web customers and its streaming media offerings as giving it the best chance yet of denting the iPad's dominance.
The new tablet is expected to sport a 7-inch screen, compared to the 10-inch viewing area of the iPad, but will reportedly sell for 250 dollars, half the price of its larger rival.
Online video rental service Netflix, which recently announced it was splitting its DVD service from its streaming service, also announced a new content deal Monday. The exclusive agreement with Dreamworks Animation gives the video provider the online rights from 2013 to many of the studio's films such as Shrek.
Amazon's deal means its customers will be able to see movies like Mrs Doubtfire, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, and Speed, as well as TV shows such as 24, Arrested Development, Ally McBeal, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, The X-Files and The Wonder Years.
Most Popular Stories
- Islamic State Obliterating Cultural Landmarks in Mosul
- VW Site Could Mean Another 2,000 Jobs for Chattanooga
- Anarchy, Chaos Sweep Across Libya
- Eid al-Fitr Celebrations Mark End of Ramadan
- Report: China to Declare Qualcomm a Monopoly
- The 2014 Fastest-Growing 100
- Oppression of Women Cripples Africa: Obama
- RV Sales See Highest Increase Post Great Recession
- Israeli Criticism of Kerry Annoys White House
- Contreras-Sweet to Speak at MED Week