Many Facebook users logged on Wednesday and found a strange, new social-networking world. For those who haven't seen it, Facebook rolled out some key changes to user profiles, including updates to its News Feed.
Here's a quick rundown of some questions and answers surrounding Facebook's latest changes:
Q: How does the News Feed work now?
A: It's tailored to how often a user visits Facebook. So, a user who's online frequently will see "Recent Posts" first, followed by top stories "From Earlier Today."
If users have not logged on for several hours or days, the News Feed will display "Top Stories" from that offline period, followed by "Most Recent" posts. The option to choose between feeds focused solely on "Top Stories" or "Recent Posts" has been removed.
There's also a news ticker that displays friends' status updates in real time.
Q: Is there any way to get rid of the news ticker?
A: No, but you can minimize it so it takes up less space on a News Feed. Click on Chat, and a navigation menu pops up on the far right. There's a gray horizontal bar separating the news ticker, and chat users can click and drag upward to cut the instant updates down to just one.
Q: What else is new to the News Feed?
A: Larger photos. Any images posted by Facebook users now appear much bigger compared with before.
Q: What happened to detailed Event reminders such as birthdays?
A: They appear to be gone but are available by clicking Events on the far left menu under Favorites. This week's birthdays are displayed, and users can click "Birthdays" to explore further.
Most Popular Stories
- I never set out to be a role model but it's great to be one ; IN THE HOTSEATBetter known by his stage name Wretch 32, Jermaine Sinclair is a 28-year-old rapper from London. In 2011 his debut album Black and White sold over a million copies and scored three top five singles. His latest single Blackout was released this week
- Schedule packed with talent at the Fox
- SET PHASERS TO DUMB Spock emotional and in love? Nonstop explosions? The highly illogical enterprise of J.J. Abrams' 'Star Trek'
- Promoter McLean 'provided more musical joy than Dylan and Prince combined'
- European Car Sales up First Time in 20 Months
- Emirati announces new film project at Cannes
- Entrepreneurs Chase Social Media
- The Blade, Toledo, Ohio, TK Barger column
- SINCE YOU ASKED [Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (PA)]
- Detroit Free Press Julie Hinds column