President Obama, joined by first lady Michelle Obama, will address a gathering of Hispanics at the Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institutes (CHCI) 34th annual Awards Gala on Sept. 14.
The president's attendence was annonced by the CHCI chairman, Rep. Charles A. Gonzalez, D-Texas.
"CHCI is honored to have the president and the first lady join us again this year to celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month and recognize the tremendous leadership we have in the Latino community," Gonzalez wrote in a news release.
This will mark the fourt consecutive year Obama has addressed the CHCI Gala, going back to when he was a presidential candidate in 2008.
At the gala, Gonzalez will present the 2011 CHCI Chair's Award to Hilda Solis, secretary of labor, and Ken Salazar, secretary of the interior. The 2011 Medallion of Excellence for Leadership and Community Service Awards will go to entertainer Vikki Carr and former astronaut and engineer Jose Hernandez.
Grammy-winning salsa artist Luis Enrique will head up the entertainment with tropical music legend Gilberto Santa Rosa performing. Prince Royce will open the show and sing the national anthem. Teresa Rodriquez, Univision television anchor, will serve as hostess for the evening event.
Most Popular Stories
- National Retail Federation Reduces Sales Forecast
- Amazon Hiring on Calif.'s Central Coast
- Execs Help Entrepreneurs, Get Chevy Volts
- Pandora Tumbles in Late Trading
- Sporty Ford Fiesta Fires on All 3 Cylinders
- Prison Workers Wanted
- Jennifer Lopez Throws Big Bash for Birthday
- Citigroup Unit Paying $5 Million to Settle SEC Charges
- Small Firms Take Out the Trash in Jersey
- Obama Seeks Help From Central American Leaders