Health insurer Aetna Inc. has appointed Fernando Aguirre, chairman and CEO of Chiquita Brands International Inc., to its board of directors.
"It is with great pleasure that we acknowledge Aetna (for) appointing Aguirre to the board," Javier Palomarez, United States Hispanic Chamber of Commerce (USHCC) president and CEO, said in a press release. "Fernando Aguirre is an excellent choice who brings a tremendous amount of knowledge and business expertise to Aetna's board of directors."
Aguirre has served as chairman and CEO of Chiquita Brands since 2004 and has led the company's strategic business transformation, leveraging the equity of the company's brands, expanding into new markets and products and acquiring other top food companies to secure Chiquita's market position. Today, the company has more than $3 billion in revenues and sells products worldwide.
Prior to joining Chiquita Brands, Aguirre held positions in brand management, general management and turnarounds at Procter & Gamble (P&G) over a 23-year period, leading business units in Mexico, Canada and Brazil.
"(Aguirre) has a long track record of involvement in global business, an area of increasing importance to Aetna," Mark T. Bertolini, Aetna chairman, CEO and president, said in the release. "In addition, he has significant brand management experience that should serve our company well."
A native of Mexico, Aguirre earned his bachelor of science degree in business from Southern Illinois University in 1980. He also attended the prestigious YPO Harvard President's seminar for 10 years, earning Harvard Business School graduate status in 2009.
Aguirre serves on the board of directors for Chiquita Brands and Levi Strauss & Company, and is also a member of the International Board of the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation.
Most Popular Stories
- Twitter Coming to Phones Without Internet
- NASA Fellowships, Scholarships Bring Diversity to Workforce
- Dish Network Leads 2013 Top 50 Advertisers List
- Entravision Initiates Quarterly Cash Dividend
- Networks Vie for U.S. Hispanic TV Viewers
- Ad Counts Rise in 2013 for Hispanic Magazines
- Warner Bros. Unleashes 'Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug' Merchandise
- Shanghai Smog Forces Factory Shutdowns
- How to Arm Yourself Against CryptoLocker Virus
- Amanda Bynes Enrolls in California's FIDM